close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any auto GPS gurus in the house?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by KaGee, Jul 22, 2007.

1. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Here's the deal... got to take a trip this week. No time to wait for shipping, so I have to get locally.
    Circuit City has the MIO 220 on sale for $179
    Best Buy has the Magellan Maestro 3100 for $219 today and tomorrow only on-line with a $20 gift card.

I can't make up my mind which one. HELP!

2. Go To West Marine and get a Garmin or a raymarine. They are the best

3. KaGee

Thanks, but I'm looking for a GPS for my truck. Already have one in the boat.

4. I know Radio Shack has a bunch of them too. I unfortunately can't help with which is better, just gives you a couple more options to make things even more complicated :)

5. bought my daughter a garmin c330----got it at boatersworld with rebate coupons---she loves it

6. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

my uncle has a magellan of some type mounted to the dash (it is removable). he acts like hes lost without it. uses it to go to the bathroom.lol. not really but he loves that thing. i think he belives theres a small woman inside talking to him.lol:p

7. The garmin 3x series are pretty nice units, but they are self contained. This may be good for some, but not so great for others. Unlike other units (including garmin), they cannot be hooked to a computer. It's a simple solution for most, with updates thru a compact card, but limited for those who like to map trips, routes, waypoints on a computer for download to the GPS.

8. KaGee

I do know that there are various "hacks" out there for the MIO.

9. I haven't checked for 330 hacks since the owner seems to be pretty happy with the self-contained operation. I use a garmin 2610, so I am used to being able to create custom routes and waypoints on the computer (mapsource) and downloading them to the unit.

10. tubuzz2

tubuzz2 1700 Lund Red and tan

Garmin 330 street pilot is a very nice unit. Set you address right in unit with touch screen. If I would buy right now it would be a garmin. 330 street pilot is the cheapest but I would probably upgrade to next one. Ps don't leave the suckshoin (?) cup attacted to windshield too long might ruin the rubber.

11. KaGee

Bought the MIO 220. For $179 it is THE best value out there. Worked almost flawlessly. I confused it twice on route calculations last week. Once I decided to go a different way to avoid construction. The other, a road was closed for construction. In both cases after a minute it finally figured it out. Found the map to be 100% accurate in the urban and rural areas I traveled.

This has the latest Starfire chip-set and the latest map update. The receiver is really fast. Never lost contact with the satellites. I'm happy!

12. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I purchased the Garmin Nuvi 660 and used it last week in Washington and British Columbia.

It was pretty pricey but worked very, very well. I'm happy with it.

13. KaGee

You did buy a very nice unit. You are right about the price. :B