Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So 2 weeks ago while at Indian lake for a B-day picnic and day of boating, my girlfriends niece(she's 6) saw me catch a couple fish around the dock area and became an instant fan of fishing. I was both amazed and quite excited. No one in my girlfriends family fishes and always looks at me like i'm a weirdo when i talk about it. Anyway, after the second catch she was like, i want to fish so i grabbed one of the rented push button poles i had(rented 4 extra poles cause i thought maybe someone else would want to fish...they did not!), threw on a rattle trap gave her a quick 10 second lesson in casting and she sat their and fished for almost 45 minutes. Just casting and reeling in, non stop. Everyone was amazed. I heard thru the grapevine that she's been talking about going fishing non-stop for the last 2 weeks. So i went out, bought her a push button of her own and this saturday i'm gonna go pick her up and take her fishing.

My question for you guys is: I live in the beavercreek area(SW OHIO) and want to know the best place to take a 6 year old where she is guaranteed to catch some blue gills. Would like to travel less than an hour if possible. I don't want her to lose interest so i want to make sure she catches a few, size does not matter. We don't have a boat, will have to be shore fishing. Any advice?

Thanks, great site by the way!!!

Terry

·
fishing cabrewer
596 Posts
bevercreek ymca on grange hall, catch and release only, tons of bluegills some crappie and bass catfish last time i went years ago. bring some worms and pick a good day

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks....i was thinking Carriage Hill because they are having a kids fishing derby but i don't think we will be able to make it that early since my gf works nights. Now, the YMCA in beavercreek i never heard of. I think i know where it's at but didn't know there was fishing. Might have to scout it out tomorrow at lunch. Thanks for the replies.

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
Eastwood around the docks is usually pretty good for gills and crappie. Also the water on the other side of the jet ski launch/beach

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Ah I didn't know there was a kids fishing derby at Carriage Hill. Eastwood is decent but may not keep her entertained long enough, though I've never fished around the docks but the fish on the other side of the jet ski launch are always very spooky. The YMCA will most likely be packed full on a Saturday. Kiser is a little ways away but I've always had successful numbers there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Blue Lake at Eastwood is great in early a.m. until about noon - then the bite seems to drop off. Lots of little perch and gills, especially at the east end. Only drawback there is a lot of stumps, and currently a lot of weeds, in the water. Not hard to get a dozen or more little ones in a couple hours on wax or redworms, though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't forget about the Kettering Ponds. Kettering has a kids fishing derby at Delco Park.
yes i walk my dog at this park every weekend but for the pond's sake.....i have never saw anyone actually catch 1 fish here. I always see people fishing but have never seen anyone catch a darn thing...hahaha.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah I didn't know there was a kids fishing derby at Carriage Hill. Eastwood is decent but may not keep her entertained long enough, though I've never fished around the docks but the fish on the other side of the jet ski launch are always very spooky. The YMCA will most likely be packed full on a Saturday. Kiser is a little ways away but I've always had successful numbers there.

The YMCA......is that open to the public. We aren't going to be able to get anywhere til about 6pm. Is the YMCA open all the time?

·
Lovin' the Outdoors
756 Posts
The B-Creek Y pond is accessible after 6:00pm. I don't know if there are posted signs about fishing after dark or not, but the Y being open has nothing to do with fishing the pond

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
yes i walk my dog at this park every weekend but for the pond's sake.....i have never saw anyone actually catch 1 fish here. I always see people fishing but have never seen anyone catch a darn thing...hahaha.
Delco holds a nice small population of paper thin 3" gills. Me and my brother have fished it for gills after catching catfish bait and thats about all we could get into. We probably caught 50 3" gills when we went. Only thing I've ever seen caught out of there was a 12" channel and a 4lb carp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Terry,

Oak Grove is a relatively new park in Centerville on Social Row Road (east of Rt 48) that my kids have caught large mouth, crappie, and nice blue gill in. There's a nice fishing pier and also several stone seats situated around the pond from which you can sit comfortably and fish. It's well stocked and posted as strictly catch and release. They did a terrific job with it, and as of now, I don't think many people know about because I rarely see anyone else out there. Definitely worth checking out with the kids.

Here is a link to the park: http://www.cwpd.org/oak_grove.html

good luck,
Adam

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Terry,

Oak Grove is a relatively new park in Centerville on Social Row Road (east of Rt 48) that my kids have caught large mouth, crappie, and nice blue gill in. There's a nice fishing pier and also several stone seats situated around the pond from which you can sit comfortably and fish. It's well stocked and posted as strictly catch and release. They did a terrific job with it, and as of now, I don't think many people know about because I rarely see anyone else out there. Definitely worth checking out with the kids.

Here is a link to the park: http://www.cwpd.org/oak_grove.html

good luck,
Adam
awesome...thank you. thanks to everyone that has replied. I've heard she's been talkin about it all week. I finally got me a fishin buddy...hahaha.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry for the thread resurrection but these are just some of my catches... Not the best but I can't find the folder with the other pics in it at the moment.

12+lbs then this smaller one

Caught both of these from a pond local to Kettering/Centerville area. Just have to know what time to go and the secret bait the locals know of. ;)

·
CJ Wolfpack
4,311 Posts
Blue Lake at Eastwood is great in early a.m. until about noon - then the bite seems to drop off. Lots of little perch and gills, especially at the east end. Only drawback there is a lot of stumps, and currently a lot of weeds, in the water. Not hard to get a dozen or more little ones in a couple hours on wax or redworms, though.
is there bass in eastwood/blue lake?is there 1 lake or a couple of lakes?where is this place located at?thanks for any info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts