Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I’m new to the forum. I’ve fished a lot over my life, but it’s been hit and miss since I got married and had kids. Now that I’m newly retired, a friend and I are going to try to get out at least once a week – either LMR for smallies or CC for anything that will hit. For the foreseeable future, we’ll be kayak fishing on CC.

On Thursday, we launched from Wellman, turned left, and worked our way around the shoreline for several hours. We threw crankbaits, spinnerbaits, topwaters, and jigs near shore, and crankbaits into shad schools when fish would scatter them. No luck.

Since we’re both over 60, we don’t have 20 years to figure this out. Are any of you willing to give us a few hints to jump start us – general locations and lure/baits that will work for the next couple months? I’m not asking you to share your best spots, just asking you to please bring us up to speed with what you all view as common knowledge. We aren’t fussy… largemouth, saugeye, white bass… whatever. Since we're in kayaks, we chose Wellman to keep us in no-wake zones but, if we’re better off launching elsewhere, we’re open to that.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I’ve had success everywhere I have launched the kayak at CC, but I usually got to wellman’s as I find it more kayak friendly than other spots. I usually stick to the east bank as I’m usually too lazy to paddle across. I fished it yesterday, and it was VERY slow. So, your lack of success is probably more a function of the time of year/current conditions than location.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I’ve had success everywhere I have launched the kayak at CC, but I usually got to wellman’s as I find it more kayak friendly than other spots. I usually stick to the east bank as I’m usually too lazy to paddle across. I fished it yesterday, and it was VERY slow. So, your lack of success is probably more a function of the time of year/current conditions than location.
Have you ever gone right out of wellmans or do you stay in the no wake area?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi folks. I’m new to the forum. I’ve fished a lot over my life, but it’s been hit and miss since I got married and had kids. Now that I’m newly retired, a friend and I are going to try to get out at least once a week – either LMR for smallies or CC for anything that will hit. For the foreseeable future, we’ll be kayak fishing on CC.

On Thursday, we launched from Wellman, turned left, and worked our way around the shoreline for several hours. We threw crankbaits, spinnerbaits, topwaters, and jigs near shore, and crankbaits into shad schools when fish would scatter them. No luck.

Since we’re both over 60, we don’t have 20 years to figure this out. Are any of you willing to give us a few hints to jump start us – general locations and lure/baits that will work for the next couple months? I’m not asking you to share your best spots, just asking you to please bring us up to speed with what you all view as common knowledge. We aren’t fussy… largemouth, saugeye, white bass… whatever. Since we're in kayaks, we chose Wellman to keep us in no-wake zones but, if we’re better off launching elsewhere, we’re open to that.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Hey Edy. I'm retired and over 60 I'd like to join you guys sometime.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you ever gone right out of wellmans or do you stay in the no wake area?
We've only gone out the one time, so no. We headed left to stay in the no-wake zone and we wanted to try the couple points. We never made it as far as where Flat Fork Creek comes in. Do you tend to go left or right? Any particular reason?

·
Registered
154 Posts
We've only gone out the one time, so no. We headed left to stay in the no-wake zone and we wanted to try the couple points. We never made it as far as where Flat Fork Creek comes in. Do you tend to go left or right? Any particular reason?
I've only gone right since I was on a paddle yak. Since I just picked up a Hobie I plan on going left next trip cuz I can cover more water.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feel the soft launch is the easiest for a kayak at Ceasers creek since your not dealing with boaters.
What and where is the soft launch? Is it one of those slides where you launch your kayak down something that looks like a sliding board?

·
Registered
154 Posts
It's on the north side of st rt 73 just before the boat ramp. It a sand launch but you can drive right up to the water. The launch is primarily for kayak and canoes

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took my five year old out yesterday morning hoping to get a few hours in before he had school. We put in at the campground ramp and I've never seen the balls of bait fish I saw yesterday. I walked the boat to the back side of the dock, parked the truck and idled back while casting. White and largemouth bass were hitting them pretty regularly. My little guy didn't get anything on his float but got to reel in a few off of a small spinner I was firing into the various balls.

Ended up with three nice crappie before the sprinkles started and we bailed. Turns out the rain never really did anything after we got home. We live a few miles from the campground and the sun came out as we got home but school called anyway.

The point of this is you can put your kayak in at the campground dock as there is a small beach right there and the fishing can be really good.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Went right out of Wellman this am. Only managed 1 smallie

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone who weighed in. You gave me some good info to fall back on. I went out today with Fish Ohio. We didn't exactly fill our kayaks, but we had a good time... and a good story of the big one that got away. We aren't sure what it was, but it dragged my kayak 30 feet before it holed up in the thick stuff and broke me off -- hard, steady pull with occasional head shakes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks to everyone who weighed in. You gave me some good info to fall back on. I went out today with Fish Ohio. We didn't exactly fill our kayaks, but we had a good time... and a good story of the big one that got away. We aren't sure what it was, but it dragged my kayak 30 feet before it holed up in the thick stuff and broke me off -- hard, steady pull with occasional head shakes.
I vote Muskie by the way it was pulling you

1 - 15 of 15 Posts