Any advice for a beginner

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by randywatson, Jul 31, 2008.

1. A couple of weeks ago I went bass fishing in the Everglades and loved it. I thought the itch to fish would have worn off by now, but it hasn't. I live w/in 1/2 mile of the Scioto and work right across the street from it so I figure why not start fishing around here.

Other than some blue gill fishing when I was a kid and a couple flat fishing trips in Florida, I have no experience fishing. I'd like to start fishing for small and/or large mouths from the shore or wading. I've read some good pointers and tips on here already but any other help or advice (i.e. equipment, bait, good locations, etc.) would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

As basic as it gets for catching bass and anything else in the Scioto, Olenangy etc:

Rig:
    Go to about any fishing department and get a lightweight spinning combo for around $40. I think they are pretty much all the same in that price range and by the time you wear it out, you'll be ready to spend some more. Some places will spool it with line for free or a small charge. Fill it with 8 lb. Trilene XL monofilament line.

Lures:
    Get some #3 size Mepps Spinners (my favorite is called the Aglia). These are often also referred to as in-line spinners or Rooster Tails (another popular brand). KMart sells an off-brand called South Bend in a six-pack. They are cheap and work great...and you will lose them if you are doing it right. Throw them upstream at a 45 degree angle (preferably near some kind of structure or change in the flow of the water) and reel them back in fast enough so that you can feel the blade vibrate when it spins in the water. Sometimes you've got to give it a quick jerk to start it spinning.

Buy some 1/8 oz. jig heads (white or chartreuse) and a package of 3" white twister tail plastic grubs. Thread one onto the jig head. Throw it upstream and let if find bottom and reel it back with the current just fast enough so you can occasionally feel it hit rocks. If you are doing it right, it will get snagged and you will get frustrated.

If you were fishing in Florida, you already learned the Texas rig. In our streams, I'd go with a #2 offset shank worm hook, 1/16 oz bullet sinker, and a 4" finesse worm. Color is less important: red shad, purple, june bug, pumpkin, black. Find some calmer, deeper pools next to some flowing water and toss it in. Also try any area that has some logs laying in it. Let it fall and watch your line like a hawk. If it twitches or starts to move off to the side, slowly take in the slack until you feel steady pressure and then set the hook. If you're doing it wrong you will jerk the hook too early and lose the fish, or you'll let them take it too long and gut hook and kill the fish...This technique takes a lot more patience and technique to get the feel than the first two. Let the worm sit at least five seconds and then gently twitch it up and reel it in a couple of cranks--repeat.

Most Important:
    Get a good pair of fishing forceps for hook removal. Grab the bass with your thumb in it's bottom jaw and let it hang straight down. Pop the hook out and gently lay the bass in the stream. Release. Smile.

We'll save crankbaits for the next lesson.

3. Once you catch your 1st river SM you will hooked for good!!!

Streamstalker gave you some excellent advise on equipement. However, if you want to "cheat" and don't mind spending $6.50 (I think) a dozen on some craws @ R&R (front st.) you will most definitely have some success.

As far as spots that can be a sensitive subject (for good reason IMO) as you may have noticed on this site. Not sure where you live but an easy access point to the scioto that everyone is aware of is down by the frisbee golf course off of riverside.

Good luck!

4. Good advice so far. I'd add in tubes as well. Buy some around 3" in green pumpkinseed and get 1/16th and 1/8th ounce jig head inserts (use the lightest weight that still keeps the tube rolling over the bottom). Fish them along the bottom, kind of letting the rapid water take them. You'll lose some, but that is the best way to catch fish. You'll also catch rock bass.

The Scioto is a good place to start. The easiest and best place to fish is below riffles (rapids). Sometimes the fish will be in the riffles, sometimes in the pool below them-you'll have to figure that part out. The closer the riffles are to deeper water, the better.

Look for changes in the current that you can see from the surface (cuts, eddies, stuff caused by boulders, etc). Cast in those areas. If you see the water swirling backward, that is always a great spot.

5. Thanks for the help everyone. MarkyB, I completely understand being guarded about locations and I'm cool with that. I don't expect anyone to give away their secret spot, especially since I'll probably be scaring of some fish when I get started.

6. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Great advice from all, I'll add a couple of crank baits to the list.

1) Rebel Wee Craw
    2) Floating Rapala minnow
    3) Suspending Rapala minnow
    4) Bomber A

As with some of the other baits mentioned, these should be bumping off the bottom every once in a while or you are probably not going deep enough. On colors, I tend to lean toward more natural combinations, but there are plenty of people on this site that do very well with firetiger and other bright patterns. Finally, tendency when new is to retrieve too fast. I try to reel as slow as the current allows.

7. fishintechnician

fishintechnician Amateur legend

great advice guys. i'll i'd add is get more color twister tails than just white try about 5-6 different colors and keep varying the color(about every 20 min) until you find what theu want also try varying your retreive speed start slow as suggested and go faster until you find what they want and good luck and let us know how you do

8. All those baits SConner suggested are great too. I'd start with the Rebel Wee Craw, the smallies (big and small) can't seem to lay off it. Then move on to the other cranks he listed as you get more comfortable.

9. TightLine

TightLine Member

Nice thread and great info. guys! Randy, print it and keep it!
    I could add a couple things but most everthing that I would consider my "go to" baits for the Scioto are listed above.

Good Luck, let us know how you do!

10. Thanks everyone for the advice! I'm planning on getting out later this week and this weekend.

11. Need help with fishing buckeye lake around Liebs island
    Finally made it out for my first trip to the lake last friday..Not much action going on... Tried the Main body of the lake and also a feeder channel near the ranger station.... I was useing Bass Minnows and also Nightcrawlers....only caught 2 bluegill and a unknown that got off my line before i landed it...
    Can anyone give me some pointers for this area of the lake...

Thanks for your help

12. JignPig Guide

JignPig Guide Fishing Guide

I'm not trying to be a wise-arse or anything. But with the trip to the lake that you mentioned. And the area you fished. If you're wanting my advise. I would suggest fishing it when the water temperature is under 75-degrees for Largemouth Bass Fish. Maybe I would suggest trying a better body of water...
    Now if you're fishing for Catfish, that's another story.

13. thanks for tip..from your experience do u know of any good bass fishing spots that u dont mind shareing ...as i know alot of people dont like to give up there hotspots...

14. JignPig Guide

JignPig Guide Fishing Guide

To answer your question browns,
    Anywhere with deeper water than Buckeye Lake. Just try to find a ledge or a shelf or a drop-off in Buckeye Lake. It's got bass in it. But there are better lakes with deeper water that one may want to fish this time of year. Deeper water with proper vegatation will offer a much better habitat for supporting a healthy fish population.
    I suggest getting onto the ODNR web-site and look at some maps of lakes in your area. Find a lake that you can get your boat into. And fish the deeper ledges this time of year.

Good luck!

15. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

I think streamstalker pretty much summed it all up. You will definately catch fish with the techniques he described. Cranks will indeed be the next lesson, if you get bored with the first!

16. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

That's good advice. If you buy some "bitsy" tubes, you can use the same Texas rig I described earlier for the worms and switch back and forth between the two baits without changing hooks or sinker. If the water gets bigger or faster, you go to bigger baits (generally speaking).

17. And of course you should report back and let us know how you do-whether you get frustrated or not. We've all had those days but keep asking questions as you try different techniques.

18. I'll be out on Friday and Sunday so I'll definitely report back, and I'm guessing I'll be frustrated at some point(s) but it'll still be nice to get out there. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions after the weekend so I appreciated the help and advice in advance and appreciate the advice already given. I've lived around the Scioto (Griggs) most of my life (31 yrs) so I'm looking forward to hitting up all the places I've seen/glimpsed but never explored.

19. Just started fishing this summer for river Small Mouth. LOVE IT:p . Catching all on crankbaits.

I have read a lot about Tubes being "GREAT" tackle for catching smallmouth on. I have only caught 1 Catfish & 1 small Smallmouth with any tube.

I think I am fishing them wrong. :confused: most of the time I rig it with a 1/16oz jig head size 2 hook. toss it in and let it sit for about a minute and then move it or very very slowly reel it in (like worm fishing for largemouth).

Are Tubes suppose to be like fishing chicken liver for catfish, Toss it in and leave it alone for possiblily hours before any action???:confused:

20. I made it out for a few hours on Friday and Sunday to various spots below Griggs. I had no luck on Friday and only caught a little rock bass on Sunday but still had a good time. I lost quite a few lures to the bottom, but I'm by no means discouraged. I might be delusional, but I feel like I'm making progress.