Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and a friend went to Antrim for the first time friday. People were everywhere. It reminded me of a paylake. We were told it was freshly stocked with trout. Anyway we didnt catch anything in about an hour and a half using power bait. I was wondering if there are many bass or catfish in the lake. I didnt notice much cover other than weeds. Do they stock catfish in the summer?

·
AddictiveFish'n TV Addict
70 Posts
I've seen some LM bass caught at Antrim. You're right - not the greatest in terms of cover/structure. As far as I know trout are all that are stocked there - little ones in Spring, breeders in Fall.

Not sure about stocking cats but I caught my biggest channel of the year at Antrim on a late warm summer night. Didn't have scale, but was over 10lbs. Didn't have a camera along, so etched in my memory alone.

Not the greatest place to fish, but for me, just a matter of convenience as I live a mile away. Curious, you said it was packed - packed with walkers, joggers, or with anglers????

·
Registered
615 Posts
When I fish Antrim it is usually early in the morning before there are to many people (usually starts getting bad about 10:00).
Most of the structure in Antrim is drop-offs with a few areas that have weed beds. The year of the bad drought the lake dropped very low and I was able to get a good look at the structure as far as the drop offs go. The drop offs are very sudden and very deep. Remember, this is an old quarry. This is why I urge anyone wading it to wear polarized glasses and move slowly.
As far as the fish go I have caught LM bass as big as seven pounds, SM as large as five, white & black crappie, bluegill (of course), trout (of course again) and channel cats (stocked with leftover from the fair). I have seen a couple muskies, some very large carp and heard of saugers being taken from there.
Antrim is a very tough lake to fish, due to the clearity I believe, but well worth it when you can nail some of the larger fish.

·
Registered
501 Posts
we used to skinny dip there when i was a kid- it's real deep at the south end. the crappie are good there and the scenery is great. largies on the north smallies on the south.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it was packed with anglers, walkers and joggers. The entire lake except for the back side was lined with anglers and the walkway looked like a walkway at an amusment park only with about 30 unpleasant dogs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts