Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all this is not a " fish that got away" story, second, this was only witnessed by me , but caught by an asian gentleman. I went to Antrim on Tuesday because it was overcast and cooler. The trout were indeed biting and I took home a limit which were very tasty. but I saw this guy with a small battle goin on and when he finally landed it it was the biggest crappie I have ever seen. It looked like a flounder and bent to fit into the five gallon bucket he popped it into. I have caught a lot of very large crappie in my years , but this put every one to shame. I think it was a black crappie, or it just had a very dark color to it, but it was huge. I asked him if I could take a photo , but I dont think he understood and he said no, but it was huge. Wished I had caught it!!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Kinda sad to hear of such monsters that have obviously survived a few seasons only to end up in a grinder or on a wall....in this case...probably the grinder.

Oh well...

Any guess on length?

·
Registered
96 Posts
WHy is that sad. It was a big fish and someone had a good time catching it and soon a good meal from it. If he had not caught the monster it would have ended up floating belly up in the water eventually.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Okay. I'm not opening that can-o-worms again:C

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
If he had not caught the monster it would have ended up floating belly up in the water eventually.
True, but it probably would have spawned a few more times before it went belly up. Big fish (of all species..except "fixed" species such as S-eye) need to be released in order to keep there allele frequency's in the gene pool. That slab got big for a reason, and there's a good chance that her off-spring would get big too.

This philosophy is actually termed "Selective harvest": Keep the average size fish, let the big ones go. ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was hard to tell length, couldn't even take a guess.But it put up a great fight. and he looked happy. I hope it fed people and made them happy too.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
yes, i thought that was the whole goal of goin fishing, catching some fish and hopefully a big one. congrats on that guy landing a monster crappie, and he probaly did feed some ppl with it. haha lol usually when i go out fishing its just about enjoying the weather, cuz i never catch any fish let alone any monsters!!!!!!!! but anyway i do wish that some ppl would release some more fish, especially in ponds like antrim, there is just not enough fish in there because of everyone keeping fish. i probaly would keep that fish too out of there, but wouldve thrown her back in hoover or alum.

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
good catch! you cant blame a guy for keeping it.
its days like yesterday that the diehards make us jealous

while selective harvest could positively relate to most species I feel it's place is more relevant to species that need lot's of years to grow like bass, flatheads, walleye, muskie, pike. or areas that have a lot of obsticles in terms of spawing habitat and water conditions

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have caught a number of 16-17" white crappie and a couple 12-13" black crappie out of there. More than likely there are still bigger ones in there. If it is the Asian gentleman I am thinking of he took it home and prepared it on the grill. He fishes there all year long and eats all the fish he catches.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can see keeping it,just to eat it, or just to mount it.

I can see releasing it, its all legit. I'm sure those genetics made it out there somehow

Just don't throw em onto the bank

ITS
A
FISH ! !

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
Kinda sad to hear of such monsters that have obviously survived a few seasons only to end up in a grinder or on a wall....in this case...probably the grinder.

Oh well...

Any guess on length?
What do you mean the grinder?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts