Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Musky Hunter
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for putting up so many threads but I was wondering if anyone knows how to make those big lazy Antrim rainbows bite in the summer. If I have to wait until they stock the lake, Is there somewhere else I can go while I wait? :confused:

·
A one-man wolfpack...
3,158 Posts
Clear Creek and Clear Fork are your other two options, but they're not as productive as the Mad...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Musky Hunter
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've seen them right in front of the pier. They look like they are at least 5 pounds. The bad part is that they don't bite anything you throw, But then again, I was fishing there in mid day.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Try copper plated Michigan stinger lite spoons with pink on it. another good spoon for rainbows in still water is a hammered copper plated scorpion named confusion.
They work for me. Have caught over 30 rainbows the last 3 weeks.

·
Musky Hunter
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I'l give it a try because I do have a stinger spoon with chartreuse and orange in it. The trout at Antrim don't act like real trout lol.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Try copper plated Michigan stinger lite spoons with pink on it. another good spoon for rainbows in still water is a hammered copper plated scorpion named confusion.
They work for me. Have caught over 30 rainbows the last 3 weeks.
At Antrim?

There are trout that survive the summer in Antrim, but few and far between , last July I was jogging there and I saw a kid pull up a big golden trout on a worm. Antrim is a real tough place to fish b/c of the water clarity. The bass in there are monsters though, they get fat from eating the trout.

·
A one-man wolfpack...
3,158 Posts
I haven't fished at Antrim in over ten years. I'd like to launch a six-inch Senko toward the middle and see what happens...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've seen a few nice bass cruising by the pier but never any trout. I'm guessing they probably stay deep where the waters cooler. I do agree it's tough fishing with the water clarity and the swimming dogs. I've actually never caught anything there but have never fished for more than a few minutes after running on the trail. Maybe someone can talk 1rod into doing a video there and if he has some success I may put in more effort there :).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Have you ever been there the day they stock that thing? It's a mad house, elbow to elbow people all catching their limit. I would be suprized if there were any trout left nearly 5 months later. I don't know the water temp there but I doubt it stays under 73 degs all summer and a rainbow can't tolerate temps over 75 deg for more than a couple hours (acording to the interweb). If there really are trout left, fish a dawn or dusk.

·
Musky Hunter
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those pier bass never bite lol. My plan for next time is to experiment ALOT. I'l try everything from swim jigs to flukes to cranks. While i'm there i'l also bring a couple hair rigs and some corn to try for some nice carp. Who knows? I might land a trout as well if i'm lucky. :D

·
Musky Hunter
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In the middle sometimes you see MONSTERS surfacing. My best bet is a big old channel cat or maybe a carp but it's a mystery...

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The easiest way to catch those bass is a small live bluegill under a bobber, that's the only thing I have ever really seen work.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've fished antrim a few times...never caught anything. I run there and never see anyone catching fish (Except for right after a stocking). Place is one big tease.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts