close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Antique Silver Spoons

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dinkbuster1, Aug 23, 2008.

1. found these spoons going through a box of old coins i inherited from grandma yesterday. anyone know anything about them? value, origin, how old, etc? closest thing i found on the net were some really old Italian collectors spoons. (click on pic, photobucket slideshow)
    [​IMG]

2. Those are some neat looking spoons. I do not have any knowledge of antiques but can tell you to make sure you find out what you have and what the top value is before you sell them off to anyone. ( if you ever sell them)
    Careful what you use if you clean them.

3. DO NOT CLEAN THEM until you talk to more than a few people w/ knowledge in the subject...get more than 1 opinion....

If I've learned anything from watching the Antique Roadshow, its don't clean it.....

Not sure if its the case w/ your spoons, but I have seen furniture, english/french serving silver etc....go down in value by 3/4 cause someone
    'cleaned' item and removed the 'patena'...and re-finished..etc....

steely123

4. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

Unfortunately silverware is often only worth as much as the silver content, and sometimes slightly less.

I would take them to a couple (two or three) different antique dealers and get an offer on them, then average all the offers together and use that as a good refrence. I would only be concerned if one dealer offered $10 each, and another offered $100 each. If that happens you may have something special.

Currently silver is around $13.50 a troy ounce. If I recall correctly silver spoons should have around two troy ounces silver in each of them. So even at melt value you should get around $27 a piece. If you have a scale you can weigh them, convert to troy ounces and then multiply by .925 (sterling is .925 purity) then multiply by $13.50.

Here is a site that will help you in the conversions.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_all.htm

And here is a site that will help you with your "old coin" values.

http://www.coinflation.com/

Often times your coins are only worth their melt value too. The exception is if you have a low mintage date or mint mark. I would reccomend looking for a "Red Book", to give you a rough idea on the coins. The problem with the red book is it is only published annually, so the value of many of the coins in the book were made on the metal value back in November or December of 2007. The one way to see if there is a "premium" on a particular coin is to use the red book, then check the metal value from 2007. If the red book lists the coin at more than the metal content for 2007, then chances are the coin is worth more than the current metal content. You can also run searchs on Ebay for particular coins and see what they are selling for.

Hope some of that makes sense, and helps.