Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent about 3 hours this morning working the banks and grass mats with soft plastics, pitched small soft crawls, wooly bugs,worms and creature baits. Had quite a few soft bites but no takers :S Man this is a tough lake to figure out ! I have fished about everything I own this week there and they just dont want it. Fish finder shows good numbers of fish alot are deep (12 to 24 ft) tried drop shot and verticle jigging for a couple hours the other night in the deep water and switched to deep running cranks NOTHING :S NADA !! I did catch 5 or 6 gills on redworms the other night but the bass are tight lipped ! I did see a guy pull out a warmouth out of the grass mats on the west side of the lake, didnt know they were in there. Everyone I have talked to said it was tough right now, I better catch something soon !!!

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
When was the last time someone caught a muskie out of hargus? Just curious, i know they stocked them in the 80s.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive heard they had been stocked in there and a friend claims to have seen one swimming but I have never seen or heard of one caught anytime I have been there this year

·
Registered
297 Posts
They were stocked in the past, but since then the lake was drained and restocked (not shure when, but it was within the last 20 years) I'll see if I can find out when it was done and what was stocked

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
297 Posts
According to the ODNR hargus was drained in the late 1980's and restocked with lm bass ,muskie, bluegill, and channel cat

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
934 Posts
It is a rough lake to fish. Just because it is an electric lake only, you still have loads of people out there on their super fancy bass boats everyday.

There are still loads of fish in there , but because of all the pressure they get hard get a "get on them".

With that said we are still in the tail end of the dog days, so ya need to take that into account too.

Also, really like the lake, pulled by my first 20 inch + LM outta there this year.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I find the fishing pressure that I have read about here very interesting, I used to fish there quit a bit (but that was about 30 years ago), we would usually be the only ones out there, at the most 1 or 2 other boats.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I find the fishing pressure that I have read about here very interesting, I used to fish there quit a bit (but that was about 30 years ago), we would usually be the only ones out there, at the most 1 or 2 other boats.

I can see the ramp from my camper. The weekends are crazy it takes no time at all for the parking to be full, and they start showing up early. Since it has been so hot it has slowed down a bit. ODNR has been taking surveys on the lake this summer. Bass fishing is on the top of the list.
It has been a tough lake lately. The last time we were out we only caught 2.

·
Catch Photo And Release
2,175 Posts
Bass fishing is pretty slow in the lakes around central ohio this time of year. (even in my super fancy bass boat). It will pick up in a few weeks. Hang in there it will get better. Small ponds and rivers are still good though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Very...very slow. I didn't catch a thing talked to a guy who caught 1. I was off the lake at 11. The parking lot was full this morning when I left the camper. Had a light rain falling

·
Registered
148 Posts
Still slow. Was out this morning for a few hours. Missed 2 then decided to down size the bait. Caught 1, 19" so in my book good day...lol. Water temp has come way down. Today 71.5 was the warmest I found. Sorry about the pic was by myself. I tried..lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts