Another Time Warner Rant

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Columbusslim31, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

I just moved into my new apartment and unfortunately I can only get cable services from Time Warner. Apparently, about 4 mounths ago, they stopped doing custom installations. What this means is that unless you have cable jacks on your top floor, the only way to get cable on that floor is if they have permission to drill an external wall (which of course my complex does not allow). They no longer feed cable through the internal walls. This upsets me as you can imagine because since I've been on my own I've always had cable in my room. On top of this, I wanted my internet on the top floor and since they couldn't install that either, rather than cancelling and having to pay a higher price when I reorder, I'm now paying for a service I can't even use. Has anyone run into this yet?

Bascially it looks like I have to hire a contractor if I want cable and internet on my top floor. I'm not against having to pay someone in order to live in the matter to which I've become accustomed, but it would've been nice if I could've found out about this before I signed the lease. Could've avoided a lot of problems.

By the way, is anybody here a contractor, or know one, that works in the Columbus area? Got any idea how much something like this might cost to do?

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Time Warner has nothing to do with them not being able to install it where you want it. Your COMPLEX said no, as you stated." (which of course my complex does not allow). Don't blame TW. Talk to your management company, instead of blaming TW.
    They were sued a while back because they drilled through a floor at a complex without their permission. You can't blame them for covering their A$$
    Do like most people do and run it yourself. the other option is to get wireless and you'll never have to worry about wires to run.

3. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

I said they don't allow drilling to external walls. The Warner coordinator who works with my complex didn't even know that they don't do custom installs anymore. By the way, I'll do what I have to do to get what I want done, done. I just wanted to know if anybody else has run into this problem.

And I wish I could get wireless, they don't offer it in my area.

4. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Lots if not most complexes are stopping cable companys from drilling. They also are not allowing dish companys to connect dishes to buildings.
    Wireless shouldn't be a problem, all you should need is a wireless router. The complex or cable company has nothing to do with you having wiress . Once the cable is ran to your modem you run it to your wireless router. As long as you have a wireless chip in your computer your set to go.

5. ask time warner for a landlord permission slip. when i had time warner i had the same problem. or get that AT&T U-verse and DSL. or if you have an patio get direct tv.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.