Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Down at the river further down this time today and my buddy is fishin a rattletrap gets a hit and the monster fish jumps out of the water..looked like a gar at first..we get it in closer and it jumps again clearly not a gar..we saw its tail and saw its paddle had to of been a 30plus spoonbill after the second jump it managed to get off..but we caught 4 shovelheads 1 Channel 1 Drum 3 Sauger and 1 Smallie

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
That would be an awesome catch. I have seen a lot of cars parked at the boat launch on the river and have been wondering if they are fishing on that side of the lower dam after all your posts.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I’ve noticed more people down there too; there‘re more people on both sides of the river.
I’ve usually moved on to other areas by mid/late June but I’ve had scheduling issues and that location is only minutes from my house.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Was down there yesterday and nobody was around . In 3 hour's we saw 3 other people fishing . Lot's of people hanging out though . Got a flat head , 7 channel's a couple were nice , drum , SM and gar . All back in the water healthy and happy . Had a vulture stop by and watch us for a while . Sore leg's from going up and down the riprap and wading but happy to catch fish and not have a crowd . There is a lot of space there if you just move around a bit and don't just fish off the top of the dam

·
Rapala_Angler
41 Posts
What dam are you guys fishing? Hamilton north?
OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Rapala_Angler
41 Posts
Well I'm headed there today anyway first time this year....hopefully I can land something...fish on!!

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
She says I'm on one
908 Posts
Lower dam..

My buddy is down there right now and just text me saying he's getting into a bunch of crappie and a few channels.

Fishing traffic is just guna keep increasing lol no changing that

·
Registered
207 Posts
Crappie ? I let some bluegill's go down there and they were terrified went right into the weed's and stayed there . Seem's like crappie would be lunch to go for the other fish there

·
Registered
55 Posts
I went down there 2 weeks ago and caught nothing i was down prob 500ft from the dam on the miami uni side.I was fishing for channels but all i had with me was gizzards and hearts ill bring livers next time.So how do you guys keep ur livers on the hook in that current i use pantyhose...but its time consuming tieing them up.

·
Registered
207 Posts
mason they were biting nightcrawler's and worm's yesterday . I bet minnow's would also get them . Also biting above the dam but slower bite . They grab and run no missed bite's like you get with liver .

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Crappie ? I let some bluegill's go down there and they were terrified went right into the weed's and stayed there . Seem's like crappie would be lunch to go for the other fish there
Earlier this year I caught several crappie downstream past the sewage plant, surprised the heck out of me.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Was down there last night 830 to dark.
There were 7 fishing on the west side and about 15 fishing on the east side.

I only managed 2 decent saugeye 15" range. friend caught one that was around 20".

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well went again tonight got 3 channel's pretty quick then slow slow slow until we ran out of nightcrawler's and minnow's all we had left was bluegill's and worm's . Threw out a hook with a couple worm's on it an BAM a channel . Action was nonstop for the next hour including 1 around 5 pound's . Ended up with close to 20 and they were all hooked in the lip for easy release . Also picked up a shovelhead at the very end ( on a bluegill ) . Our arm's are tired along with our leg's . Put close to 20 bluegill in there now alive well see if they reproduce but I doubt they live long enough .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts