Another Rookie (Rivers) Out For the Year

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by H2O Mellon, Oct 19, 2008.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

As if the stinkin' Bengals are bad enough, now Keith Rivers is out for the season due to a broken jaw from Hines Ward.

http://bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7201

Check out these words from Ndukwe:

"That's his M.O. That's what he's known for," Ndukwe said. "You expect that coming in. People are going to take their shots when they can. Too bad he can't hit someone face up. It's too bad he has to wait until he's not looking to get him. It's unfortunate. It's the type of guy he is. That's all right. We play them again. He's a blind-side guy."

Now here is what Ward said:

"I'm not doing anything illegal. It was a clean hit. I didn't stand over the guy or anything," he said. "I just celebrated the same as a guy does when he gets a sack. We'll see. I'm not going to change my ways. If they're going to keep fining me for that, then I'm going to get fined all year. I don't know if I hurt him or not, but that wasn't my intention. I saw he was hurt, said a little prayer for him, and that was it. I've been playing like that for 11 years. I guess I don't know what people are griping about."

2. At first I didnt think his jaw was broke, but when they started to take him to the locker room and mentioned he was bleeding inside the mouth the first thing that came to my mind was his jaw, it was a little closer game than what the final score showed, but in the 4th qtr the Steelers really poured it on...thats what good teams do.

3. Must be something in the water...Griffey had the same problem.

4. Of course you don't know what they're griping about...Whats wrong with lining a guy up who is behind the play and not looking and lead with the crown of your helmet in the side of his head? The list of NFL players who complain about your dirty play grows by the season.

Ward received votes for being the NFL's dirtiest player last season along with Rodney Harrison and a couple of other players. Yup...they're all just griping and you're a saint. As a matter of fact, I think I can see your halo from here!:p

5. Simple: If you don't want to get blocked by Ward, do not get on the field against the FIVE TIME WORLD CHAMPION PITTSBURGH STEELERS!

What exactly made it a "cheap shot" anyway?

6. I saw the hit plenty of times...if you ask me, it was clean. You can't deny though that Ward has taken some pretty cheap shots though in the past.

7. dip

dip dip

what EXACTLY did YOU contribute to the squeelers rooster? other than jumping on the band wagon? i am sick of POSERS that pick teams in order to feel like winners.

8. I agree totally.

9. The post was not an attack on the Pittsburgh Steelers...RELAX!

My interpretation of a cheap shot is a helmet spear to the earhole of a player who is not looking...or crown of the helmet up under the chin strap of a defensive back (Ed Reed) who is tracking a play on the other side of the field.

It is no accident that Ward (and Harrison) are accumulating fines from the league. The NFL doesn't care what we think and they have no blind team allegiance. The proof is in the film and the fines are passed out based on that...

It's not that big a deal. Let's say that Heinz likes to explore the boundaries of sportsmanship.:p Is that a little more palatable? We are all entitled to our own opinions and our differing allegiances is what makes the NFL so exciting every Sunday!

10. Dip-
    what EXACTLY did YOU contribute to Ohio State? Or the Bengals/Browns? other than jumping on the band wagon? i am sick of POSERS that pick teams in order to feel like winners (insert losers for Bengals or Browns).

11. dip

dip dip

weak effort rooster. i'm a bears fan BECAUSE I WAS BORN IN CHICAGO. I'M A BUCKEYE FAN BECAUSE I LIVE IN OHIO. YOU JUMPED ON THE SQUEELY BANDWAGON IN ORDER TO FEEL LIKE A WINNER. PUTZ. HOW "YOUR" SQUEELIES DO YESTERDAY YA WINNER??????

12. So, if you were born in say Green Bay you would be a Packers fan? Or if you moved to say .....Michigan you would be a Michigan Fan? Your logic is so much better than mine! I now see that I'm a poser (something I will just have to live with) for picking the Steelers as my team 30 years ago. Geographic proximity and city of birth is a much better way to determine team allegiance.

Oh no! I just check the rules, and you are not in compliance. You have been a bandwagon poser all these years! The rules clearly state that you must align yourself with the a college team in the state of your birth (Go Illini!?!), and the closest pro team to your current address. Therefore, to avoid being a poser you will have to now be a Bengals/Browns fan depending on proximity. Actually, you will need to check the map, depending on your exact location you might now be a Detroit, Indianapolis, or even Pittsburgh fan (lucky dog!!!!!!).

13. dip

dip dip

AH! so you jumped on the squeeler bandwagon during the squeel curtain years! how brave of you little feller! you ARE a winner!

14. I would have to agree I lived in San Diego Chargers and Padres fan since I lived there for 16 years, and now that i moved back here i'm sorry to say i'm a Bengals and Reds fan, but I still support the Chargers and Padres. Geography is nothing if you wanna be a bandwagon jumper so be it. But you can root for whoever you want whether they are winners or losers. I have also been through the struggles of being a fan of a team that finished dead last in the NL west and the NL central and team that is last in the AFC north and team thats in second in the AFC West. If someone wants to support a team that has had a past of playing dirty. Then so be it, but I would also have to say I dislike the Steelers and have since they are one of the only teams without cheerleaders in football so must mean something about there team. :D

15. The pansying of football continues. I'm a Browns fan, but I can tell you that any fan of any team should want a guy like Hines Ward. He's the best blocking wide receiver since the early 80's, and let's not forget how many times he's gotten earholed over the middle by LB and gotten up laughing because he knows that's how football should be played. Injuries happen, sometimes season-ending, but that doesn't make Ward a dirty player. The guy is one of the smartest in football, stemming from his days as a QB at Georgia.

Do you think it's any coincidence that the Steelers have continued success popping runs to the outside with a depleted line and Mewelde Moore in the backfield?

I hate the Steelers, but I have nothing but respect/admiration for Hines Ward and Big Ben, two of the toughest football has to offer.

16. Ward is not dirty- I hate him but I respect him... he loves the game and plays passionate... Being a BROWNS fan I'm still waiting for that f'in smile to be erased from him.
    To me Ray Lewis is dirty... I've lost count how many times he's had a late hit onto the pile over the years... Willie Green used to be his punching bag.
    Ray Lewis is a great player but his hype leads him to jump on people when the play is dead- I'd like to see Joe Thomas level him this Sunday.