close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Another reminder to be careful when wading

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by mikeschmidt, Jul 28, 2008.

1. It happens. I slipped yesterday while fishing a very familiar strip of the Big Walnut. I wade with wadders, I was soaked but fortunately that's all that happened.
    EVERYBODY BE CAREFUL!

2. Its a sad thing to hear about, my wife called me at 11 lastnight while I was out with my son on the river worried about us after she heard about this, its been years since I fished below Greenlawn and even then I was on the bank, is the water that tricky down there to wade???

3. SPEAKING OF SLIPPING. Our group all slipped and fell numerous times this saturday. It's always safer to wade in area's you've waded before. Those guys where not from Central Ohio, thus probably never fished the scioto before.

It's as easy as slipping, hitting your head, getting knocked out, then drowning in 2 feet of water.

Best advice, don't wade if you can't swim, always wade area's you've waded before, and bring a friend. The buddy system usually works.

4. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

Below Griggs, on a canoe ride, we had to get out and walk the boat over riffles, and those would have deep plunge pools - with one step you could go from less than a foot of water, to chest deep.

5. No. I hate to say it, but I'd guess that there was something else at play here....maybe under the influence or the guy couldn't swim or both.
    That's not the kind of area that anything dangerous could happen other than stepping in a cat fish hole and getting wet.

And Benny, if you don't have a pair of felt soled wading boots, you're missing the boat. They're like velcro on slippery rocks.

6. symba

symba Kayak Conquistador

A fisherman also got caught in a lowhead this weekend in Deleware. Lucky for this guy, his fishing buddy helped get him out. It was on NBC4. I have had several slips, and one extremely scary incident years ago. Waders, water above my head, heart pounding, lesson learned. It only takes one step...

7. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

Didn't another guy get caught in a lowhead out on the Licking this weekend too? I thought I saw that on the news last night.

8. ACTUALLY, Mike who we waded with had a pair of those. Never slipped once, us in tennis shoes, slipped numerous times. I have to invest in a pair!!!

9. I guess Im preaching to the choir here but I cant stress walk slowly enough, thats what I keep telling my son slow slow and more slow.

10. the felt soled boots are very worth looking into. I'm not going to say it stops slipping but it helps prevent it a lot. Those stories are a good reminder of how careful you really need to be no matter what.

11. symba

symba Kayak Conquistador

If anyone is looking into felt soled wading boots, may I suggest the new Korkers with interchangable soles. Comes with felt, studed, and spiked soles for all different river substrates. I believe I got mine at Gander. Night and day difference from rubber soles/tennis shoes.

12. pizza

pizza

be especially cautious when the river is up.

13. After fishing the same stretch of the scioto for 20 years, and no longer in my 20s when I started, I try to find a sturdy piece of drift... like a length of stout 1-2inch diameter branch on the banks when the water is up (below oshaunessy USGS guage over 4-1/2 ft) and use it during a riffle crossing. Having extra contact with the bottom has kept me on my feet a few times this year.

14. TightLine

TightLine Member

You know about how much they run Symba?
    I love my Chota's they have the felt and studs together but are getting really worn.
    New ones are expensive and to have new felt put on is $60. Looking for a cheaper alternative that works just as well.

Thanks,

Dan

15. symba

symba Kayak Conquistador

$70 I believe. Tell a Gander employee that you are on the borderline on purchasing them, and ask if they have any specials. They usually carry around $10 off $50+ purchase coupons for "borderline" customers ;)

16. Dan,
    I have the previous model Korker's Convertibles & LOVE 'em! They were $129.00 but you can pick them up on closeout now at under $70.00. They come with rubber lug soles & felt soles. I also bought studded rubber & studded felt. Soles can be hard to find, but you can buy them on the Korker's site. Some folks complain of soles coming off...you'll never have a problem as long as you do 2 things...1) rinse the gravel out of the toe slot after use & 2) press those soles into the channel from toe to heel. I have NEVER had a problem.
    BTW, carrying AND using a wading staff is a good idea too.
    Mike

17. TightLine

TightLine Member

Thanks for the info guys! I'll look into this week. $70 is not bad at all.

Dan

18. Darby Rat

Darby Rat Those BLASTED darn bass

Hey Duckhound you do the exact same thing I do with the wading stick! But I have a permanent one, because I have a fused ankle and wading can be very challenging and dangerous wo it. I have a stick also about 1.5 -2" in dia, and about 4.5-5' tall. Make it the length that best suits you. I like a stick with a slight bend about in the middle (a few degrees only). Reversing the stick (bend facing backwards) makes walking up inclines a little easier. I sharpen one end to a point on my belt sander. At the top I put on a screweye (~1/2"-3/4" dia) that has a totally closed hole. Attach another screweye about 1.5ft. down the side sticking out 90 degrees from the staff. Then mark off a scale on the staff with waterproof magic marker. I use inches with every ft. in larger bolder lines. I attach a carabiner or key latch to my belt with a shower curtin hook. When I wade across fast/dangerous water I make sure the point is firmly imbedded in the bottom, before proceeding. The scale on your staff will give you instant depth before proceeding into deeper water. When I get to where I want to fish, I just clip my wading staff on to my keyhook on my belt (except the shore of course). This frees up your hands for fishing. It doesn't take long to know which screweye works best for different depths and currents. My 3 Cardinal rules for wading are: 1.) see the bottom or 2.) check the depth with my stick when I can't see the bottom 3.) walk with very small steps. Like Duckhound said, a wading staff offers much more stabilty than 2 feet. Just my $0.2 worth.------------Darby Rat