another OGF'er passed away

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by misfit, Feb 26, 2008.

1. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i'm very sad to say that grumpy passed away yesterday:(
    i just got the call from his wife this morning that his heart stopped at the rehab center and he was taken back to the hospital.efforts to revive him were in vain.today marks 3 months to the day since he was admitted,but after being moved to rehab last week,we thought he was on his way back.
    he had been a member of the site since the beginning,and also at GFO before that.he was a fixture on hoover and i enjoyed many good times on the water with him.i was hoping he would get back on his feet in time for the spring crappy fishing which he really loved.
    i first met wayne 6-7 years ago,and came to think of him as a very good friend.he was kinda the quiet type and a bit of a loner,but we just sort of hit it off from the start.
    he didn't post a lot,but did contribute good reports and info when he did.
    he would have been 70 years old this year,and was planning a special fishing trip to celebrate.
    he will be missed very much by me and his family.he was very proud of his kids' accomplishments in life,and had a 3 year old grandson with cancer,who was truly the apple of his eye.i'm sure the little guy is going to really miss those trips to hoover and the local pond with grandpa.

please keep them in your thoughts as they go through this sad time.

this is the last picture i took of him on one of our last hoover trips this past fall[​IMG]

2. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family.

3. rick im sorry to hear the news. please let his family know i'm thinking of them.
    if you and his grandson need a boat trip i have a vest for the both of ya...

4. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Shocked and very sad to hear that Rick.
    I know you'd mentioned he was trying to fight his way back through recovery?
    Obviously unexpected - my sympathies to his friends and family.

5. Tee

Tee Team OGF

Sorry to hear the bad news.

Condolences go out to his family and friends. :(

6. Very sad to hear about Grumpy.

7. I'm sorry to hear that Rick. A lot of folks here were pulling for him, but as we all know, sometimes folks get called away.

I'd like to send my personal condolences to his family, and also on behalf of OGF.

Rest well, Grumpy.

8. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

I'm really sorry to hear it.

My prayers go out to all of his family and friends.

9. My prayers go out to his family and friends. Thanks for posting the notice for us. I know that you kept in touch with him over the years so I am sure this hits you hard as well.

May he rest in peace.

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

yes,it hit me hard.we had that kind of friendship that really didn't need words.we just knew.he'd write me now and then,to let me know it was time to go window shopping at gander or dick's.we'd meet there just to hang out with each other when we got bored at home.rarely bought anything.we just enjoyed a little time being together and talking fishing when we weren't actually doing it.i'll miss those trips as well as the hoover times.on a few occasions,we'd just go to buckeye,set up our chairs and do a little lazy carp fishing.
    i'm glad i at least got to finally visit with him las week.he hadn't wanted any visitors since he'd been admitted.when his wife told me he wanted to see me,it was a surprise,and when his eyes lit up when i walked into the room,it made my day as much as it did his.

11. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

Our prayers and condolences go out to his family and friends.
    It is sad times like this that remind us all that life is too short and to be thankful for what we have.
    God Bless everyone, may he rest in peace.

12. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

Thought and prayers out to you Misfit as well as Grumpy's family. :(

13. sad news indeed!!!! did not know him but followed your posts on his condition...may he rest peacfully!!!!

14. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Very sorry to hear this news.
    Condolences to the family.

15. Memory Can Tell Us Only What We Were, By Richard Fife

Memory can tell us only what we were,
    In company with those we loved;
    It cannot help us find out what each of us,
    Alone, must now become.
    Yet, no person is really alone;
    Those who live no more still echo
    Within our thoughts and words,
    And what they did has become
    Woven into what we are.

16. Hey Pops sorry to hear this news. Since we were talking on Sunday I really thought he was headed down the home stretch to recovery not the home stretch of life. I only met him a couple of times out on the water but I remember the last time you and I were out and he was at one end of the lake and we were at the other and he gave us a jingle to tell us we shouldn't have moved and to come on back because he found the fish.

Let us know if you find out the visiting hours and the location. I'm sure this family will show up to support his family.

Rest in Peace "Grumpy".

17. WB185Ranger

WB185Ranger Gotta Love Odie!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the family also.

18. mrphish42

mrphish42 locators dont lie

Misfit.......Have read your words and having people in our pathways of life to call a "friend"....(as I have seen in your posts) Is truly, one of "LIfe's Greatest Rewards"... "Grumpy"... was lucky to have a caring friend like you.. My deepest condolences to you....his family and other friends.....And remember "each day is a gift from God" and that is also etched in the bracelet I wear on my arm every day of "senior life' ..................Jon Sr.

19. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

Such a tragedy. Yet, I'm sure he's somewhere catching a big one for all of us. My condolences.

20. My prayers and condolenses go out to his family and friends.