Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the day again at Presque Isle bay on erie. Despite the little colder temps today, calm lake we still got some good smallies. I think we ended up with around 40 fish, 90% smallmouth.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
That's awesome,

I ice fished Presque a few times this past winter and used my Aquaview, I saw largemouth everywhere, but just a couple of smallmouth but heard from the locals it was loaded with smallmouth.

Do you think the smallies winter in the bay or come in after the ice leaves?

Are you using the traditional tubes and jerk baits?

thanks,
Kim

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think there some resident smallmouth in the bay that live there year around BUT the vast majority of them come in the bay when the water starts warming up around 45 degrees. They come into the bay to spawn because its protected from the main lakes harsh wind, rough water and unstable conditions. It also warms up much quicker than the main lake and this draws them into the bay. They start to migrate back out of the bay after the spawn is over.

I have an underwater camera that I use occasionally too when I see neat things on my graph. It's a great tool for up there since the water is so gin clear.

Tubes and Jerkbaits are very good baits for Presque Isle bay.

Right now the fishing is simply amazing there.

·
Banned
5,617 Posts
I follow TritonBills threads on this area in Erie. This sounds like the place to go. I hope someday to make at least one trip there. Thanks for all the info ;) GREAT SMALLIE FISHIN !!! THE CATKING !!! :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for the help last week! Spent Sat. and Sunday morning on Presque Isle. Didn't see you, but I stayed up toward the shipping channel. Caught some smallies in 20-30 of water on a vib-e. Lost it when a steelhead broke me off!
Move into 10-14 feet of water and caught largemouth and smallmouth on crankbaits.
My buddy even caught a large unknown fish in the lagoons. Some locals told us it was a bowfin.
The wind was ripping this morning. Caught a bunch of largemouth in horseshoe on topwater, before the wind drove us off.
First time for catching lots of smallmouth in the bay.Fishing deeper was the answer.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad I could help HairJig. What comes around goes around! Send me a private message if you don't mind and let me know where you got into your smallies. We had 2 very good days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts