Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out for my second night trip on the new boat. Took a buddy out this time and had a blast. As soon as sunset we started getting tagged. We starrted the evening out with him catching a small 3-5 pound channel cat. However, the best part is once he unhooked him he was standing in the front of the boat for a pic and sllllliiiiiippppp there goes the fish, directly into our uncovered bait bucket. He looks at me shruggs his shoulders as if he didnt know what to do. I was dying laughing as this fish just performed a perfect 10 from the high dive with little splash directly into the center this bucket. I finally said you have to get him out or he will eat all of our bait. A few minutes later after he got him out we couldnt stop laughing, but it doesnt stop there. See I am a fairly new but learning quickly to catfishing, and I have never caught big catfish 2-5 pounds mostly. Well about half hour later I reel in a pretty good size channel with no problems other than he tangled into my anchor line, but got him out. (photo of him below). Then about midnight my buddies line goes ripping out off his reel. He grabs his pole reels in slowly (using cirlce hooks) and once he realizes he has him on the line he set the hook like Jeremy Wade, I was cracking up! After 12 min literally of him reeling in and letting it run back out we finally landed about a 12-16? pound flathead. I was elated. I have never seen one in person before. Like I said I have been targeting them and learning about there nuances but this was awesome. (Photo below) Forgive me but dont have a scale, thats next. If anyone has any thoughts on how heavy these are feel free to chime in. But real quick, literally 2 min after he rebaited his hook, his pole slapped him in the head from another bite, again i was dying laughing. Only this time his reel literally ran out of line and it snapped. This fish had to be huge, so yes we have the fish that got away story too! Looking forward to my next trip!

Attachments

·
M.saxatilis x M.chrysops
3,310 Posts
Congratulations, those are some nice fish! Hard work pays off.

Nice fish & report, thanks for sharing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts