Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another GMR fishing spot gone. I drove past the GMR off of Harshman in Dayton (next to the Polish Club or whatever that place is called) and saw that there is a high fence there now. It looks like it's only been there a very short time. The fishing was not great there but it did provide a place to launch a small boat/canoe or a good place to take one out of.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
It just keeps getting worse! Public land for river access is being reduced, and private land is becoming almost impossible to access. Great natural resource....too bad the public has such limited access.

·
Mellons mentor
4,001 Posts
I dont know what the answer is but we are losing access to our public waters at an alarming rate!:mad:

·
Registered
894 Posts
have no fear, if there is a place to park close to the bridge u can still acess the river, they can only take the fences to the road right-of-ways owned by the city or counties, which we can use to access the river and the property owner cant say a thing, i work in civil engineering and there is times were we use this method to not cause any problems, sometimes they cant be helped and the owners want to cause problems until u ask well sir is ur fence over the right-of-way line if so id like to report it to the city usually by this time they say o nevermind, but thats when doing survey work, just make sure u know the distance from the road how far the right-of-way goes.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
have no fear, if there is a place to park close to the bridge u can still acess the river, they can only take the fences to the road right-of-ways owned by the city or counties, which we can use to access the river and the property owner cant say a thing, i work in civil engineering and there is times were we use this method to not cause any problems, sometimes they cant be helped and the owners want to cause problems until u ask well sir is ur fence over the right-of-way line if so id like to report it to the city usually by this time they say o nevermind, but thats when doing survey work, just make sure u know the distance from the road how far the right-of-way goes.
only problem with that is......its the cities that are doing this! and they are bringing the fences (along with the no tresspassing signs) right to the roads edge. if you do not live in the Dayton/Cincy area you cant even begin to comprehend how bad its getting. it seems as though the local governments are going out of their way to eliminate outdoor activity/fishing accees areas and trying to get folks to stop fishing. a quick guess tells me that 90% of the bridges and access points within 12 miles of Dayton have been fenced off, posted no tresspassing, or barricaded. the past year has seen this trend skyrocket.:mad:

·
Registered
894 Posts
now thats just wrong there, yeah there is a trend here with counties and cities blocking access points to rivers. a thread i started about Greene County Fishermen & Hunters talks about how Greene County Officials are putting on the next voting ballot to ban hunting and some fishing in public parks and certain areas. you know what amazes me the most, when i was in highschool me and my friends would go out fishing on the weekends instead of going on and getting drunk and we would hit alot of different rivers and lakes around the miami valley, if they keep this trend up its going to give them something else to complain about the teens getting into trouble cause there taking away the access to fishing spots that people have used for years.

·
Super Moderator
3,975 Posts
that is sad to hear.

only problem with that is......its the cities that are doing this! and they are bringing the fences (along with the no tresspassing signs) right to the roads edge. if you do not live in the Dayton/Cincy area you cant even begin to comprehend how bad its getting. it seems as though the local governments are going out of their way to eliminate outdoor activity/fishing accees areas and trying to get folks to stop fishing. a quick guess tells me that 90% of the bridges and access points within 12 miles of Dayton have been fenced off, posted no tresspassing, or barricaded. the past year has seen this trend skyrocket.:mad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts