Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
caught this unusual fish in big darby on a bomber crank. strange looking fish. nice fight to it. i thought it was a rock bass until i pulled it out of the water. the crank was 1/2 its size. i checked the dnr sight and the only thing that resembled it was a chub or stoneroller. the reason i say that is b/c stonerollers have those bumps on it's head. i also thought it looked like a chub b/c of the shape but the colors are crazy. maybe its a crossbreed.

Attachments

·
WHODAMAN
378 Posts
Flesh eating striped shiner right there
okay, I'm done goofing off now. I promise.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well then i'm an idiot. and you got that pic from the dnr page. i guess i overlooked it. thanks tho. are they good for bait or anything?

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
Oh yes very good bait for cats. I've caught saugeye on small ones too. They are not the best for dragging due to their non-torpedo like shape...but they will work!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
That would be a cool aquarium fish.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,215 Posts
That would be a cool aquarium fish.
Be careful about throwing neat little fishys from creeks and rivers into your aquarium. Many are endangered and protected which could get you into a heap of trouble. Not sure if this one. You may want to check with some experts on if they're legal, and if they would do well in such an environment.

http://forum.nanfa.org/

Plenty of guys there that can answer any questions you may have on the subject.

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
Striped shiner are extremely common....but critter is right, there are some goofy chubs and darters in Darby that are protected.

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
Bubba bass bigfoot caught one of those a couple months ago. That is my next lure project.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Looks like the shiners are spawning right now, due to his coloration. They are everywhere in the upper end of Darby & they stink almost as bad as a shad !!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
All I know is they is good eating once you get the mud vein out...then they taste like chicken.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts