close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Another Day of Great Catfishing

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Djtrikee, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Djtrikee

Djtrikee Fisherman Forever

I drove up north, about 10 miles north of mansfield. I know this nice little private lake that I have been fishing there for a year now. Seems like nothing is better than out in the country around the ashland mansfield area fishing the back roads rivers for big carp and catfish. I just cant get my groove down around columbus, fished griggs,hoover,alum. I can maybe in a 3 hr session pull 4 or 5 fish, where as up north I can catch about 30 fish in 2 hrs. Any help on where to go around columbus, I do all shore fishing since I dont have a boat.

2. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Scioto River (I don't like Griggs or Oshay) & Big Walnut Creek seem to have a ton of catfish.

3. Catman63

Catman63 Flathead Fanatic

Yeah the Scioto is better than either Griggs or O'Shay but i know some good spots in the reservoirs too for good channels. The Scioto gives up some big Cats & Carp below the greenlawn dam or under the bridge at Route 104 (carp are especially huge around there). I can give you more details or directions if you need em of more spots on the Scioto. Darby Creek has some great holes for flatheads around rt 665. Antrim lake is a good place to catch channel cats too but they're generally smaller.

4. lunee

lunee

What other good catfishing holes you know of on the scioto?

5. lunee

lunee

I have the same trouble around columbus but dont mind a little ride to get where the fish are either. Where about mansfield or up north can I go and catch 30 cats in a couple hours?

6. lunee

lunee

I haven't been able to find any good catfish holes this season. I just want to go out and catch a stringer full with the family, fellas, and the king of beers. Anybody willing to give a guy i'nsight to prime fishing grounds? I'll glady appreciate it.

Thanks

7. Isn't it now "The Constitutional Monarch of Beers"?

8. sad but true:mad:

9. Djtrikee

Mostly if u drive up and down side roads off rt 30...you can found some sweet potential rivers. I know theres a dam, off rt 30 I havent been there a while, but I know the carp is just bubbling on top of water. Theres so many random places I find and they all never disapoint

10. Djtrikee

yea, everyone keeps saying that greenlawn is the spot...Im going to check it out tomorrow evening. I use just worms, shrimp, hotdogs, chicken liver....is there anything im missing that the cats and carps like?

11. Catman63

Catman63 Flathead Fanatic

For channel cats i'd rank the baits like this.......
    1.Chicken Liver
    2.FRESH Cut Shad (The packaged stuff doesn't seem to work well but frozen is fine)
    3.Fresh Cut Blue Gill (Head Cuts in particular)
    4.Beef Liver
    For carp i'd say wheatie balls (especially at Greenlawn).
    For Flatheads i'd say live Blue Gill is the most popular bait though people catch them on Large Suckers or Chubs as well as big Cut Bait.

12. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Small jigs and crankbaits....Buddy got 2 decent Flatheads off a 1/6th twister while fishing for S-eye a few nights back. Dunno what it is about Flatheads but I honestly see more caught on lures than anything else.