Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
no muskie today. Tired everything i could think of and what you guy gave me advice about. But I did end up with 2 crappie 4 largemouth 9 whitebass and flat laid into the walleyes. Im at the point of. I dont even know how to put it. Any advice

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
If you really want a musky,focus on the musky. Forget all those other "baitfish" youve mentioned above. Dont toss baits that will catch them, focus on musky baits. Threat them like big bass that like to hold a tiny bit deeper. You'll eventually get one doing exactly what your doing but you aint gonna be catching tons of musky if you're fishing for walleye and white bass.
Most of these musky guys will tell you, you've got to put in some serious work,sometimes getting nothing to have those really good days where they are hitting hard,striking on the follow. Thats the best advice i can give.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sent you a msg. Info helps alot. I don't fish for the eyes or white bass or anything else except for the muskie there. I have used baits from muskie size down to crappie size. Maybe one day I can hook into one . Small or large still would mean the world to me

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Try a big 1 to 1.5 oz big spinner bait musky sized my go too color is white. or a large musky inline spinner in various colors. Look for weed beds.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I sent you a msg. Info helps alot. I don't fish for the eyes or white bass or anything else except for the muskie there. I have used baits from muskie size down to crappie size. Maybe one day I can hook into one . Small or large still would mean the world to me
So let’s see . Your begging for advice on how to catch a Muskie ... then when someone asks about how your catching the walleyes you hide in a private message. Wow!

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,511 Posts
If you are catching all those other fish, you aren't fishing for musky. I have been been musky fishing hard at branch for 5 season now, I have yet to catch a fish that's not a musky. If you want to catch musky fish for musky, you must be throwing catch all style baits and likely without a leader, IMO that'a mistake.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
So let’s see . Your begging for advice on how to catch a Muskie ... then when someone asks about how your catching the walleyes you hide in a private message. Wow!
I have given this fellow plenty of musky tips,when he/she "asks",not "begs" for it n different posts.. And i was wondering what they were getting their wb eyes on. They politely sent me a PM showing me what they were using and where. You didn't ask,nobody else asked, i asked and they gave me information that they were not required to do so.
Chill a little bit bro,this isn't keyboard warrior, outraged at the world facebook social media group. This is a fishing page where we all share info and talk about fishing,not drama central because he didnt answer a question how you wanted, regarding a question that you never asked.

No need to be an online jerk,buddy. :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
I don't muskie fish much, but I do chase flatheads. I think thier even harder to learn and catch. Considering thier not a stocked species. It took me years to catch the first flatty. I had multiple follows the first time musky fishing...from shore. Just keep throwing those big baits at em, eventually it'll pay off. The harder the work the bigger the payoff. It's frustrating though. Good luck!!

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I don't muskie fish much, but I do chase flatheads. I think thier even harder to learn and catch. Considering thier not a stocked species. It took me years to catch the first flatty. I had multiple follows the first time musky fishing...from shore. Just keep throwing those big baits at em, eventually it'll pay off. The harder the work the bigger the payoff. It's frustrating though. Good luck!!
I'd love to hook up with a 40lb flat. Only caught a 15lb flat on an ultralight jig and minnow at wb and a 15" flat with worms on the bottom at Peidmont. Ive never really focused on them but from what i understand they are more predator than scavenger. They've been making appearances in many lakes in Ohio over the last 20 years that have never known to have any before. Perhaps someone has been putting a few in or the ODNR stocked some lakes 20 years ago with a some and never mentioned it? Stocking data by the ODNR is not very transparent and available.
Whats the biggest flatty you've gotten?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm from southeast Tennessee so the biggest flathead isn't fair around here. I fished tn Bama ga ky wv oh. I have hit blues in the 90s and flats in the 70s. But I have fished for them 25 plus years.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No i use leaders.... And heck I'm smart enough to even make my own. Titanium fluorocarbon. 6" is the smallest I use. The best thing about the titanium leaders is they are smaller in diameter and holds more lbs.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,511 Posts
No i use leaders.... And heck I'm smart enough to even make my own. Titanium fluorocarbon. 6" is the smallest I use. The best thing about the titanium leaders is they are smaller in diameter and holds more lbs.
Okay on the leader (flouro and steel are fine that' what i use) but throw musky baits.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Almost another day down :( ... Walleyes and white bass was hammering right at dark again. My baits got a lot bigger tonight. Only one eye on a grandma. Very good size at that. I didn't know theres a tournament going on with the eyes at marks bait and tackle . I dont mind helping out but plz no one in the tournament plz

1 - 20 of 33 Posts