close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Another Bass Question

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Columbusslim31, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what's the best bait and technique to use for a spinning rod for bass fishing as well as bait and technique for baitcasting rods. Also, which do you prefer? I suspect I'll get a lot of praises on the virtue of baitcasting rods, but until I get a baitcaster, I'm stuck with the spinning outfit. However, I appreaciate ANY tips.

2. I for one hate baitcasters, I think it's because I'm just not smart enough to operate them. I do have one in my arsenal but it is used primarily for pitchin and flippin. I can accomplish those two without looking too much like an idiot. For cranks and spinnerbaits and anything else I'll be casting, I use my trusty spinning reels.

3. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

If you are a beginning bass fisherman with a spinning reel: 8-10lb monofilament line, 2/0 offset shank worm hooks, 1/16 and 1/8 oz bullet sinkers, some 4" and 7" plastic worms in classic colors (black, purple, red shad, june bug). Texas rig them with as light a weight (or no weight) as possible. Cast them wherever it looks like you will get snagged. Wait, watch, twitch, wait, watch, crank, repeat, slowly!

4. im the opposite, i use my bc for spinnerbaits crankbaits and buzzbaits and use the spreel for flippin and pitching and light tackle presentations. using spinngcombo you can use anything you want...its popular to use the worm either texas rigged or carolina or drop shot... but i use alot of road runners and rooster tails and jigs with twister tails with my spreel.

5. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

I prefer baitcasters, accuracy, high speed retrieve, power, only downside super light lures, I hardly EVER use spinning gear.

6. la2ohio

la2ohio L.A.2Ohio

Spinning reels are great for finesse fishing. Plastic worms, split-shotting, drop-shotting, shaky worms, and small jigs. Baitcasters are great for spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, cranks, and the larger jigs (pitch, flip, cast), the larger stick baits, topwater, etc. This is due to the faster retrieve ratio of the reel. Although, with spinning you can do the same, however, consider the rod and line you are using and you can compensate for those baits as well...just not as powerful nor the best for the type of bait. So, my suggestions are if you are fishing with lighter gear, line and baits then go with a spinning reel and spinning rod for the feel and finesse of those particular lures. If you are fishing bass cranks, stickbaits, topwater and spinnerbaits as well as, jigs then stick with a baitcaster and casting rod...stiff casting/graphite rods are best for carolina rigs and pitchin/casting jigs and texas rigged worms. The composite casting rods like e-glass or all fiberglass rods are best for crankin' and topwater so as not to pull the lure out of a bass' mouth and as not to get killed by a flying lure, when you sling the rod to set the hook. I know this is way too much info, but stick with what works for you now and just practice in an open field with your baitcaster to the feel of it and to get the kinks out before hitting the water.

Good luck!!:D

7. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

My advise is to get your first baitcaster, spend at least $70, cheap ones are hard to cast even for people like me who have done it for 25 years. Then tie on a 1/4 oz spinnerbait, clip off the point, get a 5 gallon bucket place it about 10 yards away then wait until you get an experienced caster to set up your reel or you will be buying new line, not a joke! THEN spend at least an hour a night a week trying to put the lure into the bucket with side hand casts(both ways) and overhand. Put the bucket under low hanging trees, behind trees( it can be done) and when you can place the lure within a few feet each time then take it fishing. Sounds like a bunch of work, it is but in the long run you'll see what the advantages of baitcasting can be.

8. carxman17

carxman17 cincinnati fishaholic

I use both. I have one spinning rod and reel that I use for flipping and pitching sometimes it is a 7' meadum heavy rod and I use 30 pound spiderwire stealth on it. I find it is easer to flip with smaller jigs or plastics. I do love my baitcasters though. But, as was said above spend the money for a good one. You dont have to spend over 100 dollars but dont by one for 30 or 40. Make sure it has atleast 5 to 8 bearings. It will be alot easier to cast...

9. What do you do if you don't know an experienced baitcast user?? I have a nice "Rick Clunn" baitcaster that I bought at BPS and gave allot more than 100.00 for, and I might as well sell it or give it away, because I always end up with the proverbial "birds nest". I'd love to be proficient with this beast. Any ideas will be appreciated!! :)

10. carxman17

carxman17 cincinnati fishaholic

Try to pull out about 40 yards of line then put a peace of tape on the spool. Then rewind line back on. this will keep line from backlashing so deep. also tighten the spool down alittle tighter than norm. see if that helps...

11. I cut my teeth on spinning gear so that is my preference. I use it for almost everything. I do have a baitcaster and use it for spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, cranks, and the larger jigs. The key to the baitcaster is practice, practice, and more practice. Backlash is a way of life with a baitcaster. Get used to it. After awhile backlash will only happen when you have the biggest bass on that you have ever hooked.

Here is a simple rule I use. I keep a popper for top water (popR), a spinnerbait for mid depth (White, Black and Chartreuse) and a 3" - 4" finess worm for the bottom. You can just about catch anything with this combniation.

LoweBoat

12. That's exactly how I learned to pitch and flip with my baitcaster. I stood up on the porch like I would in a boat and practiced into a bucket from different distances and around or under different obstacles. I can drop a tube jig right into lots of places my buddies my buddies won't even attempt!!

13. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

Thanks to all who replied. The response exceeded my expectations. I hope to get a baitcaster soon and I expect to practice with it profusely. I'll keep you posted on my progress. In the meantime, I plan to go fishing on Alum this weekend and will of course be using my spinning outfit. I'll report back with news.