Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished same spot as Wednesday taking along a friend from work with my wife and I. 18ft water from Sherrod Park to the Castle. Started at 9am and ended at 1pm. Struggled with the last 2 for an hour and a half, but threw the kitchen sink at em and got them finally.

Here's what worked: 40 jets, 35 back. Pink/red harnesses assortment. Some with chartreuse backs, some gold backs, some pink backs. I had a gold backed pink and maroon harness that caught the majority of the fish. Probably lost 5 or 6. A blueberry muffin with gold black caught 2 or 3 also.

2 largest of the day attached in picture. Also a big sheephead that whomped one rod completely over when it hit.

Nice to take a long folks that don't have much Lake Erie fishing experience, and have a good day on top of it.

-Report from Wednesday I was referencing:
Read more: http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/showthread.php?t=179197#ixzz1SsOsy6zL

Attachments

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
What blade design/size are you running?

colorado, willow, or ???

Thanks for the report. Great to see there are some eyes to be had without running 15 miles.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Picture attached of the style I use. I used one of these today and caught several fish with it (shrimp is what it's called at Erie Outfitters web site -where I bought some yesterday.)

Now I'm confused on what the blade styles are called. I thought a willow had this shape with jagged edge though? And now I'm confused what this one is because I'm thinking a colorado is a smooth edge, short with more of a tear drop shape to it.

Set me straight, please.

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
Nice catch! What did that sheephead weigh it is A dandy huge girth for length. The harness displayed is A double willow. Willow is the blade shape even if it has serrated edge.A colorado is more oval shaped.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info on the blade / harness names. Makes sense. The serrated edge on some that I have threw me off.

The sheephead weighed just under 8lbs. However, I was in the front of the boat getting a water and I looked back in time to see the rod tip wiggle and proceed to go straight over into the water behind the boat. And this is a stiff trolling rod. I yelled for my buddy and he couldn't believe what he was seeing either. I thought we had a snag, but then it came back up a little, and he was able to fight it in. Looked crazy.

I'm glad we are finally catching some limits. We only ever did that once before. Having a blast. We were on vacation this week, so it's nice to spend this week fishing. Had to do some boat maintenance Thursday and didn't get to fish, and Monday we trolled near Beaver creek in the morning, and only got sheephead and white bass. Went to the bouy on Tuesday and trolled for 7 hours and got 4 fish.

I'm hoping to get my Dad onto some this weekend.

Take it easy,
Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts