Annual Mike Utt Memorial Scioto River Cleanup: Saturday 8/16/08 Scioto Park

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by RareVos, Aug 13, 2008.

1. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

What: Annual Mike Utt Memorial Scioto River Clean-up
    Where: Dublin's Scioto Park
    When: Saturday August 16th, 10am to 2pm
    Why: Come out and celebrate one of Ohio's great natural resources and help to keep it that way.

2. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

We will be there. I don't know whether we will set up the booth, or just have people working.

This event collects trash that has been dropped on the banks, and trash that has floated in. I'll probably walk up Billingsley Creek and get trash that's washed down from the Sawmill/270 area.

FOSR organizes an April event below Greenlawn, the trash pileups can be incredible down there after high water.

[​IMG]

3. FLT_TUBE_JNKY

FLT_TUBE_JNKY Uber Tuber

It would be nice if Ohio was like other states and offered the nickle for all those plastic bottles. People would not just throw them down for someone else to pick up.

4. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

I parked under 270 and walked upriver to Billingley Creek, scrambling around on jumbled stone and picking trash. Got some plastic buckets that looked like they'd been in the woods for about five years.

The river was about as low as I've ever seen it there, you could cross it and not get your knees wet.

Attached Files:

5. Alex,
    I saw that you had signed in, but I didn't get a chance to say Hello. I was in the red canoe with the 3 kids, if you happened to look out. And RareVos had his son with him wading upstream also.
    Good event, but the water was LOOOOOOW. Made it hard for the canoers.
    Wished I had a chance to say thanks and introduce myself.
    Thanks for coming!

6. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

wonder if Mt. Dew would donate anything for helping pick up their bottles

7. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

As a follow-up, during the event I saw what I thought was a long shipping pallet in the riverbed. A week later I was down there again, and I tried to move it and realized it was much heavier, probably a section of some dock that broke up. I wrote to the event organizers and asked if it would be legal for me to drive the car into the river and tow the thing out.

No surprise, it's illegal to drive in the river. ("May it please the Court, I was already performing community service at the time...") but they thanked me for the notice and said they would send someone to pull it out with a backhoe or something. I need to go back and see if it's still there.

8. Alex,
    Where exactly? I live 1/2 mile from where you parked and I may have a nice way to get it out of there. Or at least have fun trying....

9. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

It's about 50 - 100 feet upstream of the Emerald bridge, and about 20 feet away from the east shore.

I have a come-along and some tow lines - but the question is, if you fish it out, then what? Drag it up to the roadside?

10. pizza

pizza

maybe it's best to leave it there if has been there a while? (removing may increase erosion?)

11. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

It would eventually wash downstream and be a problem somewhere else - that would be a nasty thing to hit with a boat.

I can post a pic of it when I get back on the home computer.

12. pizza

pizza

thanks, just an idea as I'm not sure what the situation is. I've seen some big stuctures in that river(look to be parts of houses from flooding way back when) that seem like they are best left. Don't doubt your judgement just wanted to throw it out there.

13. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

Well well... welcome back you rabble-rousers...

14. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

This is what I'm talking about. The sucker is HEAVY.

Attached Files:

15. pizza

pizza

Gotcha. Kudos if you get that out.

Yeah no matter how hard I try I can not not rouse rabble on here. School starts in a week though.