close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Animal feed product kills up to 50K aquatic animals

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bronzebackyac, Jun 29, 2007.

1. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I thought I would post this for those who did not know about it. It was in the Chillicothe paper today.

ASHLEY - Runoff of an ingredient used in livestock feed into a tributary of Alum Creek killed 40,000 to 50,000 fish and other aquatic animals, a wildlife investigator said Thursday.
    An estimated 1,500 to 2,000 gallons of whey, a dairy byproduct, spilled into a field drainage system that dumps into the west branch of Alum Creek, said Ken Fitz, a district law enforcement supervisor with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources. The spill happened last week.

The whey dissolved oxygen in a several-mile stretch of the tributary, killing fish and at least 3,000 crawfish near this town about 30 miles north of Columbus, according to investigators.

Investigators are not finding any more dead fish and Fitz said he believes the waterway will recover. The Ohio Environmental Protection Agency helped aerate the creek at one location and flush the water with pumps at others

Most of the 50,000 animals were minnows. Other species of fish that were killed include catfish, blue gill, bass and carp.

The spill remains under investigation and no charges have been filed. Fitz said the cost of the investigation - including a value for each fish that died - would be the responsibility of the polluter.

Fitz said

2. wow, thats crazy whats the long term affects of this cause im sure any big hit like this to any lake is going to have lasting affects of some kind.

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

what cheese factory is close to there?this same kind of thing has happened more than once by a cheese factory around millersburg if i'm not mistaken.

4. Perch

Perch Perch Addict

5. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

What is scary is that I'm dishing out 24 bucks a week to take that stuff. :( It is what most of the better protein supplement powders are made of.