close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anchoring Questions

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by catfish_billy, Dec 12, 2004.

1. catfish_billy

catfish_billy Is it spring yet?

Up until the middle of this past summer Ive always been a bank fisherman. Needless to say I bought a 16' Tracker "Bass Tracker" which Ive modified a bit for catfishing. I dont intend to fish from the boat as much as use it to scout local spots and find tie offs on the bank.
    The boat came with 2 12lb. anchors, its a 15hp Merc and I have a motorguide 28lb. thrust troller.
    So here is my question. When I take the boat out into lets say the GMR or any other mid size rivers what is the best way to anchor in the current? Also Im assuming that I will need heavier anchors as well. What is the general rull of thumb as far as how much anchor line to feed out to eliminate angle drag?
    I played around with the depth finder that came with the boat this summer but its a 96' model hummingbird with a very low pixel rating. Im planning on getting a Hummingbird Matrix next month to install this spring.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bill

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

hte rule for anchoring is at least 3 feet of chain lead on the anchor and 3 to 5 time the water depth of rope to let out. an anchor should dig in and hold on mud/sand . small rocky areas it may take a while to latch onto something and then you might lose it . a lot of anchors are lost on lake erie from getting caught in the rocks. forget the H.B go eagle/lowrance.

3. You would be better off with a Garmin, Lowance, Eagle, or anything other than a Bummingbird. :)