Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
FatMat
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out looking for perch the other day and spotted a nice school, I made a waypoint and pulled up a bit further than where I marked the fish. It was a bit rough out I forgot to add. Anyways I dropped the anchor and by the time it set I was way behind the mark. I tried 3-4 times but could not for the love of God get that boat to anchor over the school. I am new to having to anchor to fish so I am wondering if anyone has a few tips. I was in 40 FOW, was 2-3 ft waves not windy, its a powered anchor but free falls when dropped.

·
FatMat
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I would like to ask, when you spot the school on your finder at what point do your drop?

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
Mark the school with a float. Pull the boat well up wind of the marker and drop anchor. Play out line until you get on or even with the marker. Adjust sideways by using different attachments points on th boat until it swings onto the school.

With practice and experience you'll be able to skip the float.

Realize that you need not be perfectly on the school. Aften if you let the engine idle, you can attract them or pull them over to you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
"Pull the boat well up wind of the marker and drop anchor"

Chris....you're not alone by a long shot. Jim gives a great suggestion. Most of us probably don't set up far enough upwind.

The hand grenade rule applies.....close is good enough.

btw.....those fish schools we see....have been known to move.

·
FatMat
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks Bob & Jim. So ok I am in about 40 FOW, and when I see the fish I throw a marker set a waypoint than I should go about 160 ft further than the marker? That would be 40 to bottom and 120 more? It was a pretty big school, wish I would have just tried to get close instead of thinking I needed to be overtop them. I was by myself so should I chum to get these guys to come to me or just leave the engine running? I went over the waypoint like 3-4 times and was getting the same mark so I am sure they were sticking around for a bit. These are Perch right? I assumed they would be in the mix anyhow...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Pretty much what Jim says. Only thing I'll add is if you are trying to be real precise, it helps to have a second person who can keep the boat and gear and keep you in the same place while deploying your anchor, rather than drifting while getting it ready and dropping it to the bottom.
Good skill to practice/have for when you're anchoring up in the middle of all the other boats out there perch fishing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It is possible to put the motor in reverse, idle speed not faster, and drag the anchor and boat to the spot. If the anchor really takes a bite and won't budge shorten the anchor line a little. But dragging the anchor across the bottom of the lake could snag all kinds of stuff.

:D
One day a man came home and was greeted by his wife dressed in a very sexy nightie.
"Tie me up," she purred, "and you can do anything you want."
So, he tied her up and went fishing.

·
"THE LUCKY TOUCH"
1,333 Posts
follow jims advice. it is correct.

Keep in mind... in 40' fow your ducer cone on the bottom is 13' wide that school is much bigger than 13' wide. like horse shoes and hand grenades close enough will usually work. Dont forget they are laways moving at least some even if it is just swimming or treading water.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Chris, I can't tell exactly sure what you are seeing there but on my HDS when I run on 83K I get defined smaller arches on my screen to signify yellow perch, white perch or white bass sized fish schools. The last time I seen a bottom so cluttered like that was during the time when the may fly hatches were coming up around KI shoal.

·
FatMat
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Chris, I can't tell exactly sure what you are seeing there but on my HDS when I run on 83K I get defined smaller arches on my screen to signify yellow perch, white perch or white bass sized fish schools. The last time I seen a bottom so cluttered like that was during the time when the may fly hatches were coming up around KI shoal.

What I see here is what I was thinking was a huge mass of water fleas. although they are a nuisance in the lake the perch do like them. I was just going to give it a whack and see if they were in there as I did se some fish markings as well. I also look for red and yellow humps and balls on the bottom and that usually leads me to them as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts