Ohio Game Fishing banner

Anchor Question

674 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Searay 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi, I have a 28' Baha Fisherman. What size anchor Should use???? CAn someone please send me a diagram of a Anchor Set-up. I was out today and the anchor would not hold. ( I was in 36' of water and had atleast 100' of Rope out. Thanks for your Time.

#2 ·
I used to have the same problem, and tried many different types of anchors. What will help you is to have a 10' to 14' anchor chain. I have a 23 footer and once I added a 12' chain to my anchor, my anchoring problems disappeared. Now I can hook up in 6' waves from the first drop. rule of thumb on the chain length is ½ your boat length.

#4 ·
Theres a bunch of variables to consider with the questions you present... Not just the amount of weight of the anchor - also style of anchor - proper operation of the boat with anchoring - and "anchor scope ratio".

While they all are important, anchor scope ratio is what I think you were referring to with wanting to see a diagram. Take the water depth + distance from waterline to where the anchor is 'mounted' and multiply at least by 5 to 7. As you stated water was 36', let's say 3' from waterline....

39 x 5 = 195'
39 x 7 = 273'

If the water is rough, sometimes well over 7x is recommended.

#5 ·
The biggest problem I had with anchoring was determining how much rope I let out. What I did was fold the rope in half a few times then took a permanent magic marker and marked the turns. Makes it a lot easier knowing how much rope I have let out.

#7 ·
Another tip I got from a coast gaurd aux. is keep your normal length of line on the anchor for the depth you normaly anchor in the keep extra 50 or hundred foot legths and clip on as needed for deeper water or rough water. This works for me because I don't have a winch for the line and have to pull by hand. I do not have to mess with 250 feet of line to anchor in 20 feet.:C

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.