Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
9,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys think the 18" will work on my boat? 21 ft fishing cuddy I/O/?
I can troll around 2 now, looking for help to slow down further, especially in downwind conditions.

Also going to add the SmartTabs.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I use the 18" on my 215 Triton. They slow me down about .3 MPH and on my boat that is usually enough. I also use the 28" for when I want to go even slower. The 18" are super easy to deploy and remove even without a back rope so I use them more than the big ones.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Wow, glad I saw this post. I was thinking two 18" would do it for me. 19' Wellcraft I/O. I need to slow down at least 1 mph.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Keep in mind that I am already trolling at 1.2-1.3 when I throw out the 18" bags. There may be a bigger slowdown if you are at higher speeds. Frank is very good about making sure you get the right thing. Give them a call. http://www.amishoutfitters.com/ 1-800-473-1748

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
I use two 18" bags. My boat's slowest speed without them is a whopping 3.2 sog. With both bags out, speed drops to 2.4 or so. Ok for summer but not for spring. I have a third bigger bag, but have not used it yet. I don't think it will be enough to get it under 1 mph, so I will probably have to go to a kicker to do it. In my situation it doesn't make sense to spend the cash, I don't fish alot in the early spring and when I do drifting works pretty well. But the security of a second motor is a plus. If I had the spare cash I would get the kicker.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,457 Posts
I have the 22's for my 21 footer, my boat's low profile so I don't catch to much wind I would go bigger you can always bump throttle a bit.

·
Lake Erie Charter Captain
630 Posts
I Have 2 24" bags on my 21' sportcraft 3.0L, They knocked about 1 mph off. With out I do 2.5-2.8 with I get down to 1.4 into a 2ft wave. 2mph with wave.

I would go bigger like stated above. You can always speed up, but not down.

Larry

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,457 Posts
I found out this weekend while pre-fishing bags do more than just slow you down, if fishing really rough conditions they eliminate the big surges, I run an electric mounted on my captivation plate and also a kicker, in the big 5--6 footer with 20 mph or more winds I was able to troll at 1.0-1.8 but the surges were pushing me into the 2.5-2.8 range, I deployed two bags one of each side and the surging stayed in the .8-1.8 range. they offererd better boat control as well as speed control, sometimes even if the speed is good most of the time the surging will deter a walleye from biting, after I dumped my bags we had more bites.

Just a FYI of something I picked up this weekend. slow is good and so is boat control, expecially for spinners and cranks, early and late in the year.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Thanks guys. I'll have to call. I can only get down to 2.5 - 3 right now. Thought about getting another prop but would lose top end and the bags are cheaper and provide that boat control.

·
Administrator
9,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I'll have to call. I can only get down to 2.5 - 3 right now. Thought about getting another prop but would lose top end and the bags are cheaper and provide that boat control.
I received the following reply from Frank @ Amish Outfitters:
The 18"ers should do the job.

If you don't get down slow enough, contact me and I will buy them back and get you into a set of 22"ers.

Thanks,
Frank
Thanks for all your input.

·
Administrator
9,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks KaGee, let me know how they do when you get them.
It's going to be a little while, I have to go out of town on business that's running into this weekend and next.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts