close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Amick Res.

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by River Walker, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Has anyone ever fished Amick Res.in Galion out of a boat before? I tried it there one day last week for walleye,and I didn't get any walleye's,but I did manage to catch a few largemouth's.I found it to be extremely weedy,and not the usual deep water common to upgrounds.I did mark a couple of deeper holes around 20'deep,but most of it was pretty shallow.I'm not even sure if it still holds walleye,I know they used to be in there years ago.I've caught walleye there and over in Powers casting jigs at night from the shore.I was just curious to see if anyone else had fished it from a boat.

2. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Well, I won't comment about the Saugeye :D :D :cool: ;) BUT.......I live about 3 mins from there, and fish it on a regular basis. The lake used to have water in the 30' range, but with siltation from the decaying weeds over the years, the deepest spot is now 24'. The weedmat in there is odd. Especially when you are ice fishing. After you drill your hole, you have to drop down a large treble hook and start ripping up weeds, making a "hole" through the mat. What you were marking at 17' has now become 20', and the fish are cruising under those weeds. The black crappies and perch are TREMENDOUS in size there (Blacks in the 17-19" range (IF y ou can find them.......have been trying for the past 5 years with no luck) and perch in the 15-16" range. White crappies average around 12", some smaller, some up to 15".

The state accidently stocked 50,000 Largemouth fingerlings in there. They were meant for Powers Reservoir, but while they were dumping them in, I was talking with the DNR guy. He kept referring to Powers Reservoir, and I was like "you do know this is Amicks Reservoir" and he just looked at me, and looked at his partner. LOL. SOOO........an already fantastic largemouth fishery was just boosted with another 50,000. Quite a few people have been keeping the 12" fish, so I'm sure there's not 50,000 of the smaller ones in there now. My buddy that I fish with out there got a 9.2lb female on the pre-spawn this past spring. We normally get a few in the 8lb range each spring, but this was the 1st one to tip 9lbs. Most fish in the spring average around 5-6 lbs, and 20 fish days of that size are not uncommon if you fish the right areas and techniques. But.......it takes some work. We have a combined total of 35 years fishing for bass out there.........and have a good method worked out. Just have to think outside of the box sometimes

As for the bluegills.......the smaller bass have done a number on the bluegill population, which is good. There used to be a TON of smaller stunted bluegills (fish in the 4" range with eyes the size of dimes!!!!) but not any longer. Most of the gills you catch now are of decent eater size, and some slabs.

Cattin' in there is really good. The fish average around 3 or 4 lbs, and taste GREAT coming from that clear water. The East bank is great this time of year for cats.

The DNR just did a test shocking of the lake about 2 weeks ago. I'm going to contact the Crawford County wildlife officer to see what the results were. They do that to see what they need to stock. I did notice some grass carp in there last spring. Not sure if the state stocked them or if someone dumped them in there. Hoping to hook up with one of those pigs sometime down the road

3. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

So is this owned by the City? I have never heard of this lake. More details on location please. Tpet....were you refering to 9.2lb carp or Largemouth :eek: 50,000 largemouth sounds like a incredulous figuer :confused:

4. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

LM Newbreed. LM :)

5. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

I want in!!!

Is this lake private?

6. FishJunky

FishJunky AEP Tuber Association

Where is this place?? Would love to try it out!! :D

7. When you are in Crawford county stop by Bucyrus. Last spring the dumped alot of the saugeye in the riley reservoir, I caught my fare share of them last fall ranging aroung 8" (threw them back). This year and especailly next year they well be good eating size

8. I have fished it a lot from a boat. Very difficult fishing though. Nice bass and extemely clear water. I always had a tough time fishing it but when they were biting the fishing was great.

shawn, Do you know if there are carp in there. All the other species are large so If you could find a place with few weeds, which would be difficult I would think there would be some nice size carp in there. I know aman's reserviour had some very nice size carp especially in the upper part. I just never fished for them when I used to live 3 min. from there.

Marc

9. jason_0545

jason_0545 Jason Wilcox

if you would share any tips for bass fishing at amicks i would greatly appreciate it i am having a tough time

10. jason_0545

jason_0545 Jason Wilcox

today at amicks resevoir in galion ohio i caught 2 5-6 lb lm and 4 smallers ones off of the shore

11. Good job Jason!

12. Fun to hear the talk about Amicks an Amans Res, I moved out of Galion when I was in the 6th Grade. My brother an some of his friend an me taggin along use to sneak into amicks before it opened to the public, wow was that water ever clear and we did pretty good on the fishing.

13. I'm going to try and head out there this week sometime and try my luck at bass. Never really went for them exclusively so I doubt I'll have much luck. Probably try some of my smaller cranks/jerks and a spinnerbait or two.

14. KWaller

KWaller BASS prodigy

17-19 inch black crappie????? Ill have to see a picture of one out of there first...
    Kyle
    HPT
    CP

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

15. jason_0545

jason_0545 Jason Wilcox

i have caught bass there on spinners before and right there is a pic of a 15 incher from the top res

16. jason_0545

jason_0545 Jason Wilcox

if you are goin to go there to the top res i would make sure you have something you can fish through dense seaweed type stuff i was there today on shore and walked around most of it and i didnt really find too many spots where there wasnt if you find something to fish through there id like a little help man appreciate it good luck hope this is of some help

17. Any luck at the lower res? Not Powers but Amann I think it is called?

18. jason_0545

jason_0545 Jason Wilcox

i was having decent success in the creek that flows from the lower res under the bridge on 598 catching smaller to med size bass with some 9-12 in crappie but that all went south when the heat came havent been to the lower one in a while bc ive had no problem finding bigger fish at the top prolly will hit up that creek decently soon tho

19. Went out there for about two hours today and managed a single 12-14" bass on a 3/8oz bucktail in firetiger.