AM Smallie Attack

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by billycaines, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Went out to get on the early am smallie feed frenzy this morning. Got out in the northern parts of the scioto river to wade at 4:45 am. Besides the 10 bats flying 3 feet infront of my face all morning, it was pretty fun.
    I was using a pink/white 3 inch grub on a 1/8 oz jig head. Slow retrieving, but keeping it a foot or so above the bottom. I pretty much just fish drop offs, sandbars, rock structures, tail waters, and brush. Hitting each spot as I go up stream in my wade.

Second cast I caught this 12 incher on a 2 foot drop off from a sandbar.
    [​IMG]
    15 minutes later I was fishing some tail waters, standing in a pool around 3 feet deep in the center of the river. Caught this estimated 15-16 incher. Couldn't get a measure or good pic because I was too far from shore.
    [​IMG]
    I was tossing around a fallen tree about 15 feet from shore and picked off this fat 14 incher:
    [​IMG]
    and to end my morning I caught this smallie at a point where a small creek runs into the river. He was right in around 15 inches
    [​IMG]
    I caught 6 smallies total. two were not photo worthy, probably around 8-10 inches, but still fun.
    Here's a pic of the river when i left at 7:30 am.
    [​IMG]
    Nothing beats early AM wades. No one is fishing, the water is perfect, and you have the rest of the day to do your thing. All fish were Catch, photo, release.

2. symba

symba Kayak Conquistador

Nice fish. Nice pics. Nice report.

3. Nice, I guess the early bird does get the wo...smally!:)

Thats some early morning work that keeps you smiling for the rest of the day.

4. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

5. Very nice indeed. Last pic speaks volumes.

6. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Sweet! Those are some awesmoe smallies. Had I been in your shoes I would have kept them wet a little longer.

CG

7. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Nice smallies man!!!!

8. Nice fish...Im not crazy about the bats either, they hear that line cutting through the air and they dive bomb me.

9. Nice fish and a nice report. Thanks.

10. most times I would have spent more time out in the water. Had family in town this weekend, and had a limited amount of time. Still, I was happy landed 6 smallies in 2 hours.

11. fishintechnician

fishintechnician Amateur legend

i know where that is.lol ive been hitting it late in the eveings starting about a 1/2 mile down stream and working up. haven't been doing that good though

12. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Nice Smallies lots more like that in the next few months! *purchases ticket to port-Columbus* LOL

13. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

If the conditions are right in Oct/Nov it's not uncommon to land 6 in 6 casts, I think my brother and I caught something like 47 in an hour last Fall, absolute insanity! All about finding the Shad ;)