close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Am I screwed

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by marshal45, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Earlier in the year, I had a monster make a scrape 15 yards from me while I watched and could not get a shot. He caught wind of me and hung around for about an hour as he went behind me and bedded down. Eventually he walked away. On this past sunday a doe came through the woods behind me and a different monster came over the hill right at me and I could not get ready for a shot. He stopped at this scrape and I was moving trying to get ready for a shot. He then looked up at me as he was down wind and snorted at me and stomped the ground for about 10 minutes and made me look like an idiot. There were 6 other bucks that came out while he was ranting none of which were shooters. He finally left and I let out a grunt. He came back and stayed about 25 yards from me trying to figure out where and what I was. He stayed around for another 20 minutes and eventually walked away. The problem is that the wind was not on my side like it usually is and he was at his scrape and scented me. I am not sure what to do as I doubt he will be back now. Will he come back?

2. If he did not figure you out as a hunter then I would say he will be back. But he may pay more attention to that tree than in the past. Therefore I would probably try to move even just a short ways to create a different angle and perhaps be in a better position in respect to the wind.

3. Choose your stand days based on the wind... I got busted by a brusier yest. and moved my set up so if he looks up @ that treee i will not be there... and i did not hunt it this am because of the north wind...
    its a game.. you will get your chance..

4. ReadHeaded Hunter

ReadHeaded Hunter Catchin eyes

i agree with them. there seems to be a consistent problem, the deer being downwind. you can bet the deer are going to come into that scrape so if i were you i would try to set up down wind of it.

5. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

From my understanding, even if he scented you, he didn't run. As far as I know, that means he still doesn't know what you are. The stomping was an indication of him trying to figure that out. Unless he saw you he should be back. A doe, I've heard, will NOT return to a place once she has spotted you or scented you. During the rut, the bucks just don't care as much.

JMO, I'm new to hunting and this seems to be the general consensus from what I have gathered.

6. Thanks Guys. I dont feel as bad now, other than the fact that I had meetings all day yesterday so could not miss another day today. The weather is perfect for my stand, cold, snowy, and a W/NW wind. It figures the days I am out the wind is not in my favor.