Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been itching to catch a decent size smallmouth (16in +) this year and haven’t had any luck, am I doing something wrong? Is the water temps too hot? I am catching smallies but all have been dinks. A buddy and I were in the Olentangy on a cool day throwing whopper ploppers, tubes, grubs. I’m looking for that fish OHIO. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Here’s a small video I made of our tiny catches, overall it was a great time, just wish the fish were bigger.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Well my friend hello and no your not doing anything wrong. It takes time and If you are going to catch a bronze-back of that size you are going to have to be patient. With the waters be dissolved oxygen depleted this time of the year its tough for a larger fish to breath so when you are fishing top water they are less likely to hit that bait unless its a first light or last light. I'm not saying they wont, but they are living in bath water and less likely to want to burn that energy at this time of year. I use my egg beater also with those same baits and it could also be your presentation. Remember also it could be that they are simply not there. I fish the Old and dingy down in C-bus and those Small-jaws are tough to find but they are in there of that size they are more finicky than one might think. Are you fishing the structure in the river? Are you fishing the current seams and current breaks in the river also? What colors and sizes are your tubes and grubs?

Sonder

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well my friend hello and no your not doing anything wrong. It takes time and If you are going to catch a bronze-back of that size you are going to have to be patient. With the waters be dissolved oxygen depleted this time of the year its tough for a larger fish to breath so when you are fishing top water they are less likely to hit that bait unless its a first light or last light. I'm not saying they wont, but they are living in bath water and less likely to want to burn that energy at this time of year. I use my egg beater also with those same baits and it could also be your presentation. Remember also it could be that they are simply not there. I fish the Old and dingy down in C-bus and those Small-jaws are tough to find but they are in there of that size they are more finicky than one might think. Are you fishing the structure in the river? Are you fishing the current seams and current breaks in the river also? What colors and sizes are your tubes and grubs?

Sonder
thanks for that, I have to remind myself to be patient and everything comes into play, time of day, presentation and water temps. I'm fishing the structure, current breaks, hell I even open water, haha. I've switched between 1/16th & 1/8th jig heads with 2-2.5 inch grubs/twistertails from chartreuse, black and blue, shiner.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Throw bigger baits! A spook type Topwater is a big fish magnet. I like Strike Kings Sexy Dawg Jr. Joshy J5’s and 5” flukes when they won’t eat on top. You won’t get as many bites but when you do it’s usually a quality fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
366 Posts
on the grub selction i always run white, milky white, shad colors. Down in the old and dingy you gonna need to just keep moving looking. The other thing is if you not losing jigs your not gonna catch fish. I use this mantra for my fly fishing or using an egg beater if your not losing flies your not gonna catch fish! Also dont spend alot of time in the same spot fishing the same technique change it up!

·
Registered
10,339 Posts
I dont catch big smallies like alot of these guys. But one thing I have learned. Do not just toss one style bait thru a good section. I like to work it first with a faster reaction bait. Like a spook,buzzbait,spinnerbait. Then might slow down a bit an cover the middle an bottom of the water column with a swimbait or crank. Then when all else fails I will slowly pick apart every little PC of water with something slow an normally on bottom. Like a trd on a ned head,or a creature bait/tube.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
My son and i haven't been on the boat much do to baseball but we have done some wading. We have caught several smallies in the streams in central ohio. Most of ours have all came off of a small white twister tail. The average smallie in the streams for us has been around 11 inches but have caught a few in the 13-14 inch range. Most of the bigger fish have came a couple days after a good rain.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have had the same problem the last two years. I have fished the same creek for over 20 years. I have caught 18+ inch smallies every year but the last two. Try using live bait or rock shrimp. I mostly fly fish because anything I catch on a fly rod is fun and fun is why I fish. Try it, you will either love it or hate it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What a great post! Sounds like you're sticking to it, having fun and asking for help. Can't go too wrong like that. I agree with Sonder. This time of year, I like to stick to timber in deeper holes and current seams with something that'll drift to the bottom (usually a green pumpkin finesse tube on a 16th oz. jighead.) That way the bait comes to them instead of the other way around. They can be awfully lazy when it's warm and low. Hope you land a monster!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts