close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Aluminum Jon Boat HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by OSU_Fisherman, May 28, 2007.

1. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

I'm moving back from college for the summer in about a week.... so I hope to finally start working on the boat soon. I might wait until the fishing dies down a little.... but I do want to get everything painted and fixed up.

I'm planning on using a Rhino lining type product on the inside on the floor. I'm going to be painting the entire outside also.

Here's the question: What should I use on the overlaps of the metal pieces? Its a riveted hull... so I wanted to put something over all of the seams that I can find. None of them are leaking.... but piece of mind is always good.... especially when its a boat made in 1971.

My original thought was Marine epoxy.... but I figured I'd ask for other options on here.

Thanks in Advance,
    Jason

2. gf319804

gf319804 The Ohio Outdoors

When I repainted my 16' flat-bottom john boat, I just used silicone along all the seams. I personally don't see the point on spending the extra money for anything special. Silicone did the job just fine for me.

3. If they aren't leaking, don't bother.

4. OSU_Fisherman

Great! Thanks for the replies. I will definitely just use Silicone on the seams that aren't important for anything. I think I still will use some higher grade marine epoxy on the Transom since its seal is in need of replacing anyways. Possibly epoxy in the very bottom of the boat too..... I guess it depends on how much is in one tube.

Thanks again,
    Jason

5. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

6. bmffishing247

bmffishing247 Fishing Is Life!

If your going to paint the boat make sure you get paintable silcone.

7. OSU_Fisherman

Thanks for those websites guys, they look like they'll be really helpful. DrChip, I really like what I read about that coating... especially since my favorite fishing hole right now has no "ramp" so we slide the boat in and out over a muddy/rocky bottom.
    There are no leaks as of now except for a slight dampness around one of the sides of the transom. As of yesterday I'm done with my second year of college, so I'm excited to get back home and get to work on this thing. Unfortunately, I have to pay a few bills first.... but soon after that I'll get going on this bad boy.

Thanks guys,
    Jason

8. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

SKIP THE EPOXY. use marine grade silicone. because its an aluminum boat it will flex. epoxy has no flex and will chip off. you mix it with a hardner, thats the 2 tubes. use silicone because it wont harden.