close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

aluminum cleaners?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jshbuckeye, Aug 23, 2005.

1. looking for recommondations on aluminum cleaners ive used alot of grandpas favorite in my life time but think i might try something a lil easier if anyone has any suggs for the outside bottom of a boat? oxidation for the most part and then is there something i can seal it with to slow down the process
    ________
    The cigar boss

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  2. hmm noone has cleaned there aluminum boat bottoms before?
    ________
    FIX PS3

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Good question. I might suggest you check with West Marine or some place like that. Honestly the only way I've ever done it was good old SOS pads and lots of elbow grease. But there again that was on a 10' jon boat. :rolleyes:

4. Grab A Buffer And Some Mothers Or Semichrome Polish And Go To Town! Or Go To A Truck Stop They Have Polishes For Alum To.

5. muratic acid dilluted about 20:1 is the best cleaner for aluminum. you will have to protect it after with a good polish. If you don't believe me call your local radiator shop and ask them what they use

6. thanks would of never thought to lok at a truck stop the acid bath scares me but will probably be the way i go thanks
    ________
    LovelyWendie

7. yes, wear rubber gloves and a respirator if you use the acid. Just do small sections at a time. spray it on, let it soak about 30 seconds, scrub it, srpay it off. There are some acid based aluminum cleaners on the market with brighteners and other additives in them that are designed for aluminum wheels. But the main ingredient is muratic acid which has been used for year to clean aluminum radiator cores. you might also want to look at some of the local boat dealers to see what they carry.