Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 80 year old uncle gave me an aluminum canoe that had been sitting behind his barn for 20 yrs approx. I think water freezing in it has caused the seams along the bottom of it to expand and leak.

Anyone know anyone (central Ohio preferably) who knows how to tighten and reseal the seams??? I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've used JB weld before but that would be a lot of that. What about having the seams welded?

·
share the joy of fishin
21 Posts
If you need a welder to do aluminum go to allied fabrication on chantry drive. I had my merc 40 hp starter brackets break off motor. They fixed it better than new for a fantastic price pm me if you need details

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Depending on where it's leaking and how bad......There are a few epoxy like aluminum repair products out there that do a great job. I picked up mine at Paul's marine but I have seen it advertised in Cabela's as well. There was a thread earlier this year and there were a lot of comments on similar products. I fixed a hole in my keel a few years ago and it is still holding. Good stuff.
I'm afraid I don't have any idea what the name of it was though.

·
AKA: JetboatJohnny
836 Posts
If you want a cheap way of doing it go to home depot in the plumbing isle and pick up some plumbers epoxy puddy, it is made to even stop running water and is drillable once it hardens. I have a jetboat and have poked a few holes in it over the years and always keep a tube of this on the boat to make sure I can make it back to the ramp. I have one hole that has been sealed with this stuff for about 4 years now and still holding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts