close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Aluminum boats,lightening, greater risk?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LakeRaider, Jul 16, 2004.

1. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Just a thought. I bought a G3 aluminum boat. The lake I fish is on top of a hill.
    Iv,e seen some wicked lightening hit there over the years. I hear stories of lightening strikes from storms miles away. Are aluminum boats more at risk for a lightening hit? Just a thought. :confused: Raider<><>

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Good question Raider. I'll suggest you do a little testing and let us know. The next time you have a lightning storm take the boat out and see. If you survive we know it's not true. If you don't -- will you know :D

3. I don't know about being more of a risk, but I would not want to find out!!! If you do get hit in an aluminum boat your probably screwed. Always better to be safe than sorry. Always go to shore and get out of your boat in a thunderstorm!!!

4. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Peeeerrrfect!! I knew this would work out. Red, I really need that 300 Merc to outrun the lightening. :D Ehhhh! she ain,t buyin' that one either. :(
    Raider<><>

5. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Ok, here is a question for you.... If you see lightning off in the distance, along with distant thunder, are you still at risk by being in the water? At what point do you really have to get back to shore?

6. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

When I was out with Madcatter on the 4th, he said if you can see the lightning streaking in the sky, it is time to go. I asked him about this because at the time, we could see flashes all over the place and his boat is aluminum. Shortly there after, we boogied off the river because we started seeing the streaks of lightning all over the place. Once off the river, we watched this storm never fully materialize from the relative safety of Steak and Shake.

7. catking

catking Banned

If you can see it, you better be leaving. Contrary to what most believe, lightning does not come from the sky to the ground. It really is a connection from the ground up. Traveling at the speed of light, our eyes can only catch the end of the connection. The connection being the highest point on a lake/land/ to the electronic field above. Once this connection is made it's like turning on a light switch. This is why your hair stands up before you get struck. The negative field is trying to make contact with the positive, and once it does, you are fried :eek: Three kinds of lightning- Ground to Cloud- Clound to cloud & Cloud to ground. The most common is ground to cloud in which the high points on the ground sending out their electrical waves connect to the positive field above. Make sence? I hope I have that all right.............. CATKING

8. Maybe you should consider intalling lighting rods!

9. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

That's what graphite fishing rods are for.

10. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

If I hear thunder, I head off the water. Better to lose a half an hour or an hour of fishing than your life. Keep in mind that even if you survive the hit, you will be changed for life. Many people who get hit by lightning survive, but they suffer greatly for the rest of their lives. Lightning can really screw a body up as we all function on electrical impulses. Screw those up and all sorts of weird things can happen.

Play it safe and get off the water. Lightning can hit from a storm so far away that you can't see it. 10 miles + in some cases. Last report I heard was a foursome on a golf course got hit- one guy died and the other three where in bad shape. They got hit by a bolt from a storm that was 12 miles away at the time. Freak of nature for sure, but it happens.

I see black clouds and I'm outta' there.

UFM82

P.S. I always look for an aluminum roofed covered boat slip by tall trees to hide under. :D

11. I look for the nearest sail boat :D

12. muskiehunter

muskiehunter Was that Bass 5lb?Burp!

doug an i got caught in my aluminum boat in a big ol lightnin storm just shy of Alganac on the Saint.Claire, we didn't get hit by lightnin ....but the waves almost drown us and the hail dented dougs noggin.:)

13. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Catking: We know you live "South" but how many times have you been hit by lightening? I've never ever seen it come from the groung up. 25 years + as fire fighter, standing out in a storm, (that's what we do, very busy time) I have never seen it come up, always DOWN!!!!

14. catking

catking Banned

Look it up fellows ;) The reason for lightning rods is so when the highest point of your house does make the connection, the electrical field follows it to the ground, thus saving your house from an explosion. Hey, didn't you guys take science classes??? I'll bet anybody $100 that what I say is truth ;) Where are all the brains out there ;) I'll get cwcarper to chime in. Look , the Earth is a negative field. The atsomphere is Positive. During a storm they seek each other out. When the connection is made, we see the lightning, but just the last of it, because as stated before, it is traveling at the spped of light. You all ever see lightning reach the ground all the way??? You can't it's impossible ;) CATKING

15. catking

catking Banned

Thanks FishingAddict17- " Catking is right" ........ You've learned something that these other guys know, but have forgotten :D Three things in life you can count on........ You will pay taxes, you will die, and DA KING !!! is always right :cool: Thanks for the links ;) THE CATKING !!!

16. catking

catking Banned

Hey mr 25 year fireman- Look at the first link from NOAA.I believe I see the word UPWARDS highlighted :eek: OH YEA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :p :p :D

17. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up. Lightning comes from the clouds to the ground, have you never seen a tree that was struck? It didn't shoot up off the tallest part of the tree, otherwise there would be no damage. Same for chimneys, etc. I uset to live on a hill & I also fish alot & have seen cloud to cloud & cloud to ground. It's not an optical illusion, I've seen it hit from the top to the bottom. Lightning rods take the hit to avoid damage to the barn/house. There would not be damage if it shot up........
    That's my story & I'm sticking to it.
    Oh, just to prove a point, if it shot up, then you'd never have to worry in a boat, because all the trees on the bank are higher than the boat...... :cool: