alumcreek bass club open cancelled

Discussion in 'Tournament Discussion' started by Pancho, Apr 12, 2008.

1. I just find out that the alumcreek bass club open tourney has been cancelled...does anyone knows why?

2. Thick Rick

Thick Rick Dragon Bronzeback Slayer

I have no idea, but it is disappointing. That was the first tournament I ever fished like 13 years ago and have every year since. I think this was to be their 29th annual open. Always the first Sunday in May. Always very well run. Always a ton of great door prizes. I will say the number of boats in it have dwindled over the years, but they still consistently get 50+ boats. I remember when they would get 100 to 125 boats every year. Of course, most tournaments have less and less boats anymore. I think part of that is the low payouts. I know Alum Creek was paying back less than 60%. But most of these clubs are trying to raise money for their season expenses, so I get that. I think a bigger reason honestly is that Alum scares away guys who just feel they cannot compete on that lake. It is almost always won on smallmouth and a lot of guys just don't go after them or don't know how, so maybe they feel it is pointless. Just a thought.

Anyway, I had pre-registered for it, and their web site says we will be getting refunds, but it doesn't give any reason for the cancellation. Perhaps there will be an explanation with my refund.

3. flounder

flounder 2 min 30 sec from Hoover

Rick,

As of April 3 we only had 14 boats registered. At our club meeting there was a lenghty discuission on whether to cancel or not. The general consensus was the payouts based on such a small field would be disappointing to those that placed in the money. Based on a 20 boat field the payout for first was less than $200.

We really did not want to cancel the Open but felt it was not fair to our participants to ask them to compete for such small payouts.

As of now we do plan on coming back with the Open next year.

A letter will be included with your refund.

4. Thick Rick

Thick Rick Dragon Bronzeback Slayer

Flounder,

Thank you so much for the explanation. I am very sorry to hear about that. As I mentioned, I always loved your tournament. Hope to see it back strong next year.

5. flounder

flounder 2 min 30 sec from Hoover

Thanks Rick.

Look for us next year!