Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
This probably doesn’t help but from what I know of Alum I doubt the south pool is very muddy. It’s up almost 2 feet but they haven’t opened the dam yet. But once they open the gates all they mud will flow south. I haven’t had eyes on it yet but was thinking of hitting it for crappie tomorrow myself.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you trust the Corps of Engineers website, the elevation and flow forecast shows they anticipate opening up the dam to let about 1,400cfs out early tomorrow and let it flow for about 24hrs. I trust their data, but not their forecast, from past experience. With no rain forecast for the coming week, I expect the draw back down to summer pool to be less radical. Or maybe, I know nothing of which I speak.

Reactions: bassin mickey

·
Registered
18 Posts
This probably doesn’t help but from what I know of Alum I doubt the south pool is very muddy. It’s up almost 2 feet but they haven’t opened the dam yet. But once they open the gates all they mud will flow south. I haven’t had eyes on it yet but was thinking of hitting it for crappie tomorrow myself.
[/QUOTE. Looking for water conditions for Alum

·
Registered
343 Posts
As of this evening they are dumping 1150cfs. I plan on going up on Wednesday, so leave a few slabs for me, Mike ;)

Reactions: Morrowtucky Mike

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
Didn’t make it out today. Mama decided I had yard work that needed done instead. I’m curious myself what the water conditions are. Have Tuesday and Wednesday off and hopefully tear up the slabs.
I'm jelous sounds like really good timing weather wise + letting things settle a bit. Should be a great week of fishing.
I got about another week or so of weekend baseball and kids birthday weekends before I can be set free. Hoping to time it just right to still hit some fired up crappies shallow but also cast some shallow eyes without a lot of effort involved. Can't wait!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I'm jelous sounds like really good timing weather wise + letting things settle a bit. Should be a great week of fishing.
I got about another week or so of weekend baseball and kids birthday weekends before I can be set free. Hoping to time it just right to still hit some fired up crappies shallow but also cast some shallow eyes without a lot of effort involved. Can't wait!
I made sure I had plenty jigs and twister tails in the boat. I’ll let you know how the shallow saugeye bite is doing.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I went to alum Sunday morning and fished till about 3. Tough fishing first three hours. Only two crappies and two gills. Hit the middle pool and south pool. Fished big run in the middle pool and only one make crappie. Jigged around trees and points. Water was muddy and around 58 degrees. Then went to south pool. Hit all my crappie spots and only managed one crappie. Finally in the back end of a bay found one submerged tree that held crappies. Caught between 30-40 when I decided to call it quits. Almost all of them were females with eggs. Water was around 60 and not nearly as muddy.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I went to alum Sunday morning and fished till about 3. Tough fishing first three hours. Only two crappies and two gills. Hit the middle pool and south pool. Fished big run in the middle pool and only one make crappie. Jigged around trees and points. Water was muddy and around 58 degrees. Then went to south pool. Hit all my crappie spots and only managed one crappie. Finally in the back end of a bay found one submerged tree that held crappies. Caught between 30-40 when I decided to call it quits. Almost all of them were females with eggs. Water was around 60 and not nearly as muddy.
Minnows or plastics?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Well we didn’t murder them today but probably boated close to 100 with half maybe keepers. Casting plastics and most were away from the bank/wood. Did get some in tight but not many. They are definitely getting all painted up nice and pretty. Nice working with fishmeister wish we coulda actually ran into each other. Water is stained but not terrible. Actually about perfect for how I fish. Anywhere from 8” visibility to 18” depending where your at. Main lake wind sucked. Most fish caught 4-8 fow, few in tight. Tomorrow gonna give the long rods a workout wether it’s right or not. Drowning the sunburn with some cold beverages now and will report back tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Kept 40 over 10” today. Could of easily got our 2 man limit. Caught fish dippin plastics but just not fast enough for me, did way better casting like we’ve been doing. Color didn’t seem to matter much today as long as it was bright. Most of our blacks came from within two feet of shore. Some in as little as 1 fow. Lots of incidental saugeye today. One at 18” and my buddy had a hog on that broke him under the boat. Good Ol St. Croix was doubled over big time. Nothing real big maybe 12” was biggest. 50/50 males females. Most blacks were males. That sun sure has been extreme last couple days. Back to work tomorrow but should be on the water somewhere Friday morning. Good luck everyone.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts