close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alum

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Snyd, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Can some one let me know what Alum looks like today after the rain? I am thinking about taking tomorrow off to do some crappie fishing. I didn't want to go if the lake looks like brown syrup.
    Thanks!

2. I went over 36/37 this morning and it was muddy.. really muddy. The main pool will probably be better. It also seemed like they were letting water out when I drove past the creek, so below the dam is probably pretty bad as well.
    Maybe someone can help you with Cheshire.
    ying

3. I'll take a look on my way home from work today. Man with the high hitting 75 tomorrow I wouldn't care if the water was purple with pink polka dots. Of course Saturday looks like crap once again. :(

4. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Sunday looks decent...high 50's/low 60's. Will be there on Sunday for sure ;)

5. Last weekend I saw a ton of guys fishing infront of the dam in boats, and more on land. Seems to me that there should be fish throughout the lake.. but honestly I felt like it was Erie and we were fishing on a reef.
    Has the bite even been remotely hot to get all of these guys hitting the exact same area? - If so, let me know because I didn't catch anything.. not even a cold.
    Oh yeah by the way, we tried the same area as well! - Something about blind leading the blind came to mind! - lol
    Good luck this week.
    ying

6. ShakeDown

Sounds like everyone is waiting for the alum ice-out dam bite to start. Sounds like it hasn't yet. I'm sure that area will be a zoo on sunday too. I'm just hopin the water is clear enough from the dam to cheshire to break out the float-n-fly on those smallies.

If not, we might go lookin for slabs.

7. Spent lunch hour today walking around alum marina. Water color is a dirty tan but not muddy. You can still see bottom in the near shore areas. Just enough of a breeze blowing to put a slight ripple on the water...perfect for vertical jigging (sigh). Two boat trailers in the parking lot.

By the way, one of the marina ramps is still blocked by a section of dock sitting sideways from the flood.

8. ShakeDown

Thanks for the heads up T. When I launched a month or so ago, the Marina was the only ramp that wasn't junked up. Anyone know how Galena looks?

9. Just a heads up. I was talking to a park ranger at alum on Saturday. I asked him when the restrooms (w/flush toilets) will open for the season. He said the park staff is still swamped with clean up tasks from the January flood and routine tasks like that will get delayed this spring. I didn't have the nerve to ask him when the docks will go back in. Something tells me not too soon. The Howard Rd launch is still a mess with debris in the parking lot and a full trash dumpster perched in the trees.

10. Does anyone know if any of the docks are out in the water yet?

11. Shake-

Did you fish the F-n-F at Alum last year? I was wondering how it went.

12. I fished out of New Galena last Thursday, and out of Cheshire today. The ramps are NOT in, but both times I've been out there have been 4-6 trailers in the lot. Didn't do any good last week, but today was rewarded with the first fish of the year. Unfortunately, it was a foul-hooked carp and not the bass I was looking for. But, given the fight from that fish (about 24") I wasn't complaining -- it was my first fish since October...

But, folks, here's the big news. Last Thursday I saw water temps from 38-42 between New Galena and the northernmost part of the west fork above Cheshire. Today, I saw from 48 up to 60 (!) between Cheshire and just above the Howard Road launch. Mostly it was low to mid-50s, but it was very variable. Like you'd expect, warmest parts were north and on south-facing shorelines.

The time is here! Good luck!

chip

13. ShakeDown

Buzz, yes I did but only once (fall). Modified it a bit (shorter leader), but we had a GREAT day with it. Really looking forward to trying it with colder water. Temps in the fall were like 51 or so.

Thanks DrChip! How was the clarity overall?

14. Clarity was really bad pretty much all over. I could see my lure down only a couple of inches. Reminded me of the muddy shallow waters back home (Eastern Shore of Maryland)...

15. ShakeDown

ouch...kinda figured as much. thanks!

16. Drove across Cheshire this am. Water clarity on the south side looks worse than yesterday. Stopped by the New Galena ramp and it looks good to go.

17. Fished 3/30. Lake about 43 degrees on the south end. Ramps still not in at Cheshire. No problem launching or loading. Managed only 2 saugeyes. Anyone else do any good yesterday?

Rick

18. Nice job muskeye. Jigs? Vib-E's? Thanks for the report.

19. Fished from 5:00-8:00 Caught 2 musky up shallow before dark. then fished south and caught 4 saugeyes right at dark. none were over 20"'s. all were males, never had saugeye squirt sperm in the boat before.

20. la2ohio

la2ohio L.A.2Ohio

If you don't mind telling...where and how did you catch the muskie? Next time I am out there I would like to try and get one for the books. Never ever caught one and being from L.A. Calif. didn't help my odds in knowing how to fish for them.

Thanks in advance,
    Will (la2ohio)