close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alum Was Hot Today!

Discussion in 'Muskie & Pike Discussions' started by crittergitter, Jun 5, 2008.

1. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

My uncle(CoachBlue) and I fished Alum all day today. We started out fishing for saugeye but only managed a few smallies and I caught a 4 lb channel catfish. Then, we switched gears and started casting for the big toothy critters. My uncle had a mid 30's fish follow around 9:30am. Then, this afternoon things got real fun. I had a 37-38 inch class fish drill my bait and I fought her for about 30 seconds and then she came up and shook at the surface the bait came free. DANG IT! Well, in the next 15 minutes I had 2 other ski's follow right to the boat and had a nice fish swipe at my bait but I couldn't get a hook set in her. Then, my uncle got the skunk out of the boat by landing a nice 33"er. We raised 5 fish, boated one and lost a real nice one so I would call that a good day. Water temps were upper 60's and clarity was approx 18". The water level is rising quickly though and a lot of debris and stuff in the water.

[​IMG]

CG

2. Nice job! Those are the kind of day's we dream of!

3. Way to go Kyle glad the critters were active!! By the way did any of them have white bass flesh stuck in it's teeth?;)

4. Awesome man that many follows in a day I cant imagine I have had one and it got my blood boiling I remeber that spot just as i do my first Musky Nice fish CoachBlue.

5. Hi Kyle and Coach,

Were you guys running big baits? Just wondered because of the water clarity. I'd like to start fishing Alum, but the clarity scares me a little?

Greg H.

6. crittergitter

Greg, these fish were hot on the bait, but we were not using "big" baits. We were casting all day. The water clarity is poor and getting worse in most areas of the lake. I am sure by the picture you can tell where we found the cleanest water.

He called me just a bit ago and said he went again today. Hopefully, I'll have a picture to post for him again soon. One of these days I need to boat one!!!! lol

CG

7. cool musky report, i saw a couple of guys pullin off some figure 8's today, your right the bass fishin was tough but muskys were on, i too landed a nice 34 today on a buzzbait, awesome topwater crash, big run and then a big jump. even landed it in the boat too, usually that doesnt happen while bass fishin, either shakes the lure or breaks it.

8. crittergitter

As I eluded to, my uncle went back to Alum again today. I couldn't do it since the sun baked me yesterday. He caught a 34"er and a 39"er. Here are a couple pics of the 39.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CG

9. Great posts and info, Crittergitter. I like the pics too, especially the last one showing the 39 swimming away. Great shot.

10. wow great catch, that must have been early, i went back also same results on the bassin, shouldve went back for the skis, i say it must have been early cause that water looks really calm in the dam area and it really picked up with some white caps out there with the winds today about noon on! congrats on the fish though, the ski fisherman gotta be lovin the past two days if they were out, bout to change though with the water being drawn out the dam starting today