Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
day late, dollar short
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone been out this week? I'm thinking of heading out tonight and tomorrow for some saugeye or whatever is biting. Haven't seen a post yet and I'm wondering what the action has been like. Maybe what they've been bitin on.

I went out Friday and caught 1 saugeye and 1 lg mouth (both about 10in.) in the first 10 minutes of a 2.5 hr trip. Went back out Saturday crappie fishin and in 2 hrs only pulled in 10 crappie and one nice channel. Nothing special for sure.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I haven't been but need too....It will have to wait till after the holiday now...:mad::D

·
Registered
413 Posts
Went out Monday and Today. Caught nice 3lbr. On Monday. I have only fishing for bass and bank fishing. Slow moving stuff. Jigs and Tubes been the luck so far.

·
day late, dollar short
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, went out and hit a couple of spots from the bank with a vibe and a shad rap. I would call it 'almost' a successful night. Wasn't catching too much, a few crappie, a couple 11-12 inch lg mouth. It was almost successful because I had a nice 3-3.5 lb lg mouth that smacked my bait about an hour into it and as I got him close to where I could land him he shook the bait. Would've been my biggest this year (I don't fish for bass really). Not a single saugeye, which was what I was after. Oh well. Might go back tonight.

All fish were caught on a clown colored vibe. Nothing on the shad. Fished medium speed to fast with pauses every once in a while. Some of the crappie I caught hit so hard I was shocked they were crappie.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,191 Posts
Well, went out and hit a couple of spots from the bank with a vibe and a shad rap. I would call it 'almost' a successful night. Wasn't catching too much, a few crappie, a couple 11-12 inch lg mouth. It was almost successful because I had a nice 3-3.5 lb lg mouth that smacked my bait about an hour into it and as I got him close to where I could land him he shook the bait. Would've been my biggest this year (I don't fish for bass really). Not a single saugeye, which was what I was after. Oh well. Might go back tonight.

All fish were caught on a clown colored vibe. Nothing on the shad. Fished medium speed to fast with pauses every once in a while. Some of the crappie I caught hit so hard I was shocked they were crappie.
Sounds like you got dialed into that vibe technique. I have still yet to catch anything on one, but I have a heavy one. I think I need to go to the store and pick up some of the smaller 3/16 oz clown ones.

·
day late, dollar short
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know what you mean critter. This is the first year that I've been catching fish on em. I bought a few a couple of years ago and used them without success. Then they sat. I've been using em more this year and just sticking with em, especially when I bank fish (U can cast em a mile). Last night I had a 3/16. I need to get some 1/4 oz or maybe a 3/8 for the saugeye. The 3/16 even picked up 3 blue gill. One that wasn't much bigger than the vibe.

I did buy some of the venom brand from Cheshire and while they look the same they do NOT perform the same. The vibrating is much less and lure failure due to hooks tangling was MUCH greater.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Critter, thats about all the size I use on Vibees at Alum, 3/16 and sometimes even 1/8. They work great verticle jigging or casting and ripping them back to the boat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts