close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alum Spillway?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by litlwolf23, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Is anyone doing any good at the spillway or any other creek down there the last couple days? Yes, I know the weather is messed up. My father wants desperatly to catch some saugeye and muskie and I am thinking about taking the day off to take him down there but i do not know what the conditions are are there right now. Any info for me would be great. Thank you.
    Liltwolf

2. bronzebacker

bronzebacker Crickjumper

I was there last week and the water was still high and coming through the floodgates. However, I saw a few people catching a few 'eyes. Prepare to fish off the rocks though, the sidewalks are under water.

3. moke11

moke11

I was there last night. They have cut the flow way back and only had the pipe open I believe. The water was about 2 feet below the top of the sidewalk.

4. I will give a quick report from Sunday, Monday and Tuesday at Alum.
    Monday, I caught a couple. Bite was extremely slow, the water was very stained, wind and rain kept everyone away.
    Tuesday, I caught nothing and saw nothing caught. At one time I counted 37 people fishing. Throwing everything under the sun (which was out) and it was just a nice day to be outside.
    Wednesday, they increased the flow and the water was even more stained. Caught nothing and once again saw nothing caught.
    The last three days, I have only seen one person(besides me) have anything on.. it was a carp.

I wish I could give some good news, but I have none. Water level looks about right, the water clarity is very bad (compared to what it normally is). The fish are not active, the ones I caught I had to feel them on.
    I talked to a couple guys from Portsmouth area who came up for the saugeye and I pointed them in the direction of either Hoover or Indian. Alum is just not producing. I think it is about time to get the boat out of storage.

5. i fished alum sat and sun didnt get anything on saturday. sunday i got up there about 230. about 3pm i move below the bridge and ended up losing my jerkbait. i tied on a 1/4 oz jig and grub and caught two saugeyes in about 4 casts. the bites were gentle takes the fish were 14 and 16in. i lost another one soon after and had another one hit all within a 1/2 hour period, then the fish completely shut down.

6. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Fished alum tuesday the nice sunny day nothing went back that night and fished and nothing. Did see crappielooker and trucked and his buddy there. Trucked buddy caught one as they were getting ready to leave.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. FishJunky

FishJunky AEP Tuber Association

I went down there today.. 17th.. They just have the pipe open but the water is still pretty fast.. But it's below the sidewalk.. :D

8. Thank you all for the info. I went down there today after meeting a hunting buddy in Delaware. I fished it hard and came up with nothing but rolled something big. Do you guys use the floating jig on carolina in the spillway for the saugeye like we do up here on the Maumee? I can not wait to get down there when fishing heats up. I hope the fishing is a good as the lake looks. Good luck everyone when they start hitting and please post how you are doing.

9. Nickadams

Nickadams goenfurshen

I will be there from about 4pm until I get too cold. Grey hat, and probably a black jacket. Stop and say hi.

10. FishJunky

FishJunky AEP Tuber Association

What is catching the EYES consitintly??? :confused: I'm not a eye fisherman but would like to try.. What do you use and how to rig it??
    Thanks for the info... :D

11. i was down at alum again today, there were a lot people fishing didnt see anything get caught. i managed to coax one that was about 13in long to eat a 1/4oz chart grub. picked him up slowly hopping it along the bottom. the water was still below the well below the walkway, the water was stained with about a foot of visibility. threw a jerkbait at the end and came up empty.

12. Ditto what Josh said. I was there for a few hours around sunset today. There were about a dozen people fishing when I was there, and I didn't see anyone catch anything. (In my mind I saw myself catching something, but that's just a fishing strategy called visualization...) ;-)

13. Nickadams

Nickadams goenfurshen

Fished Alum from about 3:30 - 7:00. No bites, I did see some people catch fish right after I got there though. I couldn't tell what there were using, but it was a nice fish. I also saw a smaller saugeye about 13" caught and I believe those guys were using minnows on the bottom. Maybe I will try it tomm afternoon again if it isn't too cold.

14. Nickadams

Nickadams goenfurshen

Went back again today. It was reassuring to see other people roughing the rain and cold on the SLIGHT chance that they might catch a fish :) I did manage 2 small crappies, 1 on a "clown" colored hj8 the other on a chartruese jig tipped w/ a minnow under a fixed float. One was about 10" and the other about 7-1/2". They were both very thin. I saw another couple guys w/ a small saugeye. Called it an early day after getting rained on for about 1-1/2 hours. Man I want to get out on the lake.

15. Awesome pics Jerry. Notice my hat says RANGER on it. heh heh heh
    Crappielooker, looks like you gained some weight my friend. Or were you cold that 60 degree day? I know we sure tried to get jerry. Didn't work out though.
    Catch me later fellas. I got some pics I found I will post later tonight.

16. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

went by there today.. not a soul fishing over there.. :rolleyes:
    stevo.. it was kinda nipply that day .. i don't have as much insulation as you guys.. :D