Alum smallies 090108

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by JamesT, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesT

JamesT Banned

Every labor day weekend my brother and I fish Alum, focusing only on smallies (we usually get tempted by the saugeyes and muskie). We made it out this morning at about 6:15 AM on my bro's brand new blue Triton.

We had 5 good ones (about 16"-19") - they looked like they're already starting to fatten up for fall. We landed several more in the 8-14" range, which were not as proportionately fat as the bigger ones. One largemouth fell for my drop shot. All fish were in about 16' of water and caught on Spotsticker "Green Glitter Destroyer" finesse worms drop shotted.

Decided to keep and fry up 3 to accompany beers and football this afternoon. My second time eating smallmouth. I'm normally C&R but I've been wanting to compare Alum fish taste with 2 I caught from the Scioto the day before. The Alum smallies tasted much better IMO. 3 filets breaded with panko, 3 with cornmeal. A little bit of paprika, lemon pepper and Murray River flake salt. Canola oil. Served with pea and candied lemon peel risotto and an heirloom tomato salad from the garden (Black Krim, Cherokee Chocolate, Pink Pong and Kellogg's Breakfast) with some fresh Mozzerala di Bufala drizzled with some primo Extra Virgin olive oil and a few splashes of 20 year-old balsamic.

Here are the three we kept!

Attached Files:

2. Great job on smallies,nice looking fish!! but this will be a interesting post!!;)

3. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

good job on the smallies!

4. Renegade Angler

Renegade Angler Live To Fish

Yeah this is going to blow up when people read you kept them.

5. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

6. deeznumbnutz

deeznumbnutz Banned

meat and potatos ? why eat smallmouth?....small mouth and a freakin salad like that?

CARP...COLD SLAW...milwaukees best beer

7. we actually just ate up some smallies we had frozen from like 3 months ago when i caught them in june . made a pretty decent dinner on 2 fish. those smallies look healthy. nice fish. smallies are a good meal once or twice a season IMO.

8. good for you, im a c&r guy pretty much all the way except for a few spring crappies, but u should be able to post a successful fishing trip and some nice fillets within the legal limit without being bashed about it. i wouldnt keep and eat any smallies from alum, but im certainly not gonna bash anyone who does, odnr puts out creel limits for ohio fish and im sure they know more than me about it. i have to catch myself sometimes to refrain from saying something, but it is only right and it is within the law. this forum has been in question with me as of the past 2-3 months with its members who criticize others for being within legal limits, so to wrap up good for you jamest, successful fishing trip and excellent report.

9. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

10. nice job on the smallies.

11. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

nice fish. your meal sounds delicious.

12. mkombe

mkombe Hack Fisherman

Good pics. Thanks for sharing.

I wish i was that ambitious when it came to cooking fish. I just throw some flour and a few spices on em then fry them up. Potato chips for a side.

13. danjaquino

danjaquino WHODAMAN

nice job, those were beautiful.

dan

14. Great catches! Sounds like this may be a very good fall season at Alum.

15. I second it the meal sounded awesome made my mouth start to water thinking of it, and congrats on the smallies!!!

16. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Awesome fish! Congratulations on a great catch.

CG

17. fshnfreak

fshnfreak I fish therefore I am!!

every once in awhile ill eat smallies and if they come from clean water they taste as good as any erie walleye or inland lake saugeye ive ever had. nice fish. ive been wanting to try that drop shotting. i may have to do a lil resaerch.

18. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

omgZ you Ate smALLmOUth?!?!! THey're veneMous you know?!

Honestly though, nice fish :)

19. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

I think all of the anti-smallie eating posts on here have been on keeping stream-caught smallmouth.

Nice fish!

Thanks for the tips on drop-shotting. I need to try that some more. Were you casting the rig and reeling back or fishing it vertically?...I've tied that rig a few times, but I'm not sure of how to work it.

You sure know how to put together a great meal!

20. MinnKota

MinnKota Live to "FISH"

Nice Fish, Too bad nobody else will have the pleasure of catching them:( Sorry to be the Bummer on this, but have to voice my opinion. When you have Ohio touraments being won with 5 fish for 5+ lbs it makes one Kringe to see any of them go from the water to the skillet. None the less nice job catching them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.