close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alum Saugeyes

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by DAVEM, Nov 26, 2004.

1. DAVEM

DAVEM TOP WATER SMALLIES

Hit Alum this morning looking for saugeyes. Went to all my usual spots. Nothing. For a while I thought Shakedown caught all the saugeyes this summer. haha. Finally decided to move as the sun came up and was rewarded with about 20 minutes of great action. Bass were on the points busting shad and the saugeyes were right there with them. Most fish were 15 to 17 in. All fish went back in the lake cause I still have part of a deer backstrap from dinner last night. Plus the freezer is full. Right Sowbelly! Definately worth the walk and putting up with the cold.

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Hah! Right on Dave. Brian told me that YOU had the market cornered on those eyes ;) We even tried to duplicate your success a few weeks ago, and I was rewarded with a 20+lb carp.

3. fished Alum today with son. first cast of the day was 13" saugeye,thought it was going to be great day for saugeye,that was the only s'eye caught but did locate about 20 crappies. largest crappie was 12" inches. it was a beautiful day on the water.

4. I must be jinxed. Fished some coves between the ramp at Cheshire to about halfway between 36 and Howard Road. Used a jig/minnow combo and a Vibe, and not a strike. Was out from about 12:30-3:30, then gave up. I was a little too wet and cold after a thigh-deep dip into the water trying to launch at Cheshire.

Thank god for fleece-lined pants and fleece socks -- they wring out real well...

5. DAVEM

DAVEM TOP WATER SMALLIES

just got back from Alum for the second time today. Boy is the wife mad. She is due any day now and here I am chasing saugeyes. Posted this morning that I killed the saugeyes so what do I do? Go to the same spot and catch one fish .21 incher released .Those fish will humble a man real fast.

6. DaveM, Great job. I wanted to get out but I had to do the ThanksGiving thing with the family. I will have to wait for a week now because I am off to hunt for that big buck with my dad.

7. moke11

moke11

Davem,

I think Brutus and I saw you at the launch ramp on Friday. We were coming across cheshire when you were hopping in your boat, but we didn't see the dunk. :)

8. DAVEM

DAVEM TOP WATER SMALLIES

I sold my boat this Spring so that wasn't me but that's the spot the saugeyes seem to like right now. Just pick one and start walking. Best time is right before dark. Those points by New Galena are hit or miss. I may try it tonight. Sounds like Brutus and you know the crappie hole though. Did someone take a dive at the ramp when you were there? They don't like to make it easy on late season boaters.

9. moke11

moke11

We hit a lot of the same crappie holes we have been fishing all fall. We did not have as many bites this weekend, but they were more aggressive when they decided to take our offering.

I don't know if someone took a dip at the ramp. I was making the assumption that the fellow we saw launching was you.