close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alum Rescue and Ice conditions

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by moke11, Jan 22, 2005.

1. moke11

moke11

My brother and I just got back from bunny hunting at Alum. While we were hunting we heard two young boys yell for help. We ran to see what we could do, and they said they were goose hunting with their dad and their dog went through the ice. They said the dog fell through the ice and was in the water for about 1/2 hour, then their dad went in after the dog. He fell through while wearing waders but luckily he was able to get hold of a nearby tree to keep himself above water until help arrived. The ice around him was not very thick. I called 911 while my brother went to check out the situation. When the response team arrived, they pulled him to safety. The guy seemed okay (walked out on his own), but they tranported him probably to treat hypothermia. Although I am not certain, I think his two dogs were okay also.

A couple of things I take away from this experience.

1) With the flooding, freezing, and then dropping of the water level on Alum, the ice on Alum and around the shore is very, very dangerous. You could be walking on ice, but have no idea how deep the water is below you. You might think the water is only 6" deep, but until you fall through in a place that is normally dry land you don't know that water is 3 or 4 feet deep.

2) It is amazing how quick the response team showed up. They did a fantastic job. Park officer, ODNR officer, sheriff, ambulance, rescue boats, etc.

3) When parking in the designated parking areas, don't block the gate!!! The roads at these access points are designed for emergency access purposes. If someone is parked in front of the gate, this will delay their response time. Luckily, in this case, the road was clear, and they were able to get there in time.

I am glad my brother and I decided to head out today and were able to lend a helping hand to a fellow outdoorsman. I just hope his boys have the courage to head out again; obviously, they were pretty upset.

The Channel 4 news was there, so you just might get a glimpse of the best dang rabbit dog (aka Brutus) there is.

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

good going maan..its not everyday you can save a life..or 2.. :)

3. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Big at a boy to you and your brother Moke11. Way to help out someone who really needed it and save someone.

4. glad to hear that there are still some good people around, expesually sportsman

5. Very nice interview on the 6:00 news. right place, right time. Good job.

6. moke11

moke11

Thanks guys. The interview at 6pm was with my brother.

7. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

God bless you for your help. There are people who may have turned the other way out there. Too bad someone like you was not around for the man who drowned near my home a few days ago. His 4 year old son was not as lucky as the boys you helped today.

8. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

Great Job!!

Although I do wonder why the guy went after the dog. I rabbit hunt as well, and if I had a beagle break threw the ice where we was hunting, I surly would know that the ice isn't going to hold me. I don't see the since in going after the dog, they are replaceable.

I understand that this was a duck hunter, and probably using a much larger dog then a beagle, but at the same time I don't see to be worth the risk.

Pets are replaceable, Fathers are not.

9. to some dogs become family and are replaceable

10. Not only is the dog a hunting dog.
    it is more than that,
    They are your companion, threw thick and thin.
    I also would have went in after it if it was mine.

11. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

I can relate to pets being part of the family.

Yet, when it comes down to a life and death situation, you must also consider, that this is infact a dog. The two with you are your sons. You risk your life, possibly their lives, to save a dog?

We have six beagles. I understand the bond that one has with his companions/hunting buddy/pet. Our dogs age very well, as we have one beagle right now that is 14 years old. He is a major part of the family, but I wouldn't trade my life for his. Thats foolish.

12. moke11

moke11

As I said in my original post, right now, it is very difficult to determine how much if any water is under the ice and whether the ice is solid enough to support a person. In this situation, it is perfectly reasonable to believe this guy may not have intended to sacrifice his life to save a dog. Under the conditions there today, it would have been very easy to underestimate depth of water and ice.

13. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

right on
    mlarosa,you have a point.maybe a dog's life is not as important as a human's.but in a life or death situation,you don't take the time to think about personal consequenses if it's someone or something you care about.you just act instinctively.i know i would.instinct would also tell me not to,if i thought my actions would endanger the life of another human(especially my own children) in order to save a dog.apparently,the guy's instincts as a father kept his sons out of danger,and his instinct for survival made for a happy ending to what could have been a tradgedy.

kudos to you and your brother,moke :)
    as they say................."right place at the right time"

14. I would have probably done the same as this man did, It is purely instinctive to help family dog or anything living.

These two young men should be congraluted for a job well done in a right time right place incident. This situation could have had tradgey written all over it but two cool heads and a cell phone took care of not only a man in danger but two young sportsmen who will remember this for as long as they live.

I had planned to go ice fishing tomorrow but now I will not go as it has made me aware that with the falling water the ice is not safe. This incident might just have save my life.

I am the very proud father of Moke11 and his brother!

15. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

good job, right place at the right time, you get all my respect

16. I stopped in Gander Mountain on Friday on the waynhome from work and bought 3 packs of spikes, after the near miss on Alum I think I will let them expire

17. Yes, Bless you for helping them guys out in their time of need.
    It will pay off one day. Sometime in your life you may be the one needing help badly and someone will come to the rescue.
    What comes around, goes around.
    You are one of a select few.

18. Great job to you guys for coming through when lives were on the line. I am sure you guys went to sleep that night with a proud feeling. As someone said, it is not everyday that you get to save someone's life.

Also, I am sure many appreciate the advice offered following your experience. Some may not give much thought to blocking gates but after hearing that it not only can get you ticketed for violation but it can also risk someone's life that may help people remember.

19. moke11's brother was rewarded with a beautiful baby girl last night at Riverside Hospital.

20. Thats Awesome Man. You should feel good for the rest of your life knowing that you saved a mans life!!!!