close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alum pics

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Erie Addict, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Just took a cruise by Alum. These pictures were taken at the New Galena ramp. Lots of debris out floating around. Pretty high for this time of the year. Ranger said that they probably wouldnt start releasing water untill staurday or sunday.

Attached Files:

2. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Holy crap. That is high. Not sure if I've seen it that far up or not :( Might have to cruise down there tomorrow after work. Anyone know what Delaware looks like?

3. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Current Pool 892.96
    Summer Pool 888.00
    Winter Pool 885.00
    Alert Pool 891.00
    Pool of Record
    4 July 1987 893.320
    Spillway Crest 878.00
    Flood Control Pool 901.00
    Top of Dam 913.00

4. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

1/2 a foot to reach record pool. That's HIGH

5. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Here's Delaware Report:

Current Pool 937.32
    Summer Pool 915.00
    Winter Pool 910.00
    Alert Pool 940.00
    Pool of Record
    25 January 1959 944.760
    Spillway Crest 922.00
    Flood Control Pool 947.00
    Top of Dam 957.00

And the kicker is........anyone that knows Delaware.......read this. This is WAY HIGH:

Above 917.00: Beach closed to swimming
    Shooting range closed
    Above 919.00: Elmwood and Marina Launch ramps closed
    Above 920.00: Begin removal of public boats from south end of docks
    Above 924.00: Gearheiser Road impassable
    Above 929.00: Begin Removal of access ramps at marina docks
    Above 930.00: Horseshoe Road impassable
    Above 931.50: Top of marina pilings
    Above 932.00: Pumping begins at Waldo Tomahawk Pumping Station
    Above 933.00: Pumping begins at Waldo South Draw Pumping Station
    Above 934.00: US 229 completely covered
    Above 936.00: Park closed, all areas evacuated

947.00: Top of spillway gates

6. Tpet,

By the numbers you gave, that means the water level is only 20' from the top of the dam! That's high! :eek:

Tim

7. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Holy crow, man - those are both really high! Utterly amazing!

8. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

iam on my way to delaware to get some pics hit alum yesterday talked to odnr and spillway guys they were still holding back the dam yesterday at 1pm didn't want to let any water down stream since its not raining yet today i would say they opened it. i will find out.

9. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

I dunno......they hold the water back to prevent flooding downstream. They likely won't release water until the downstream areas are out of flood stage.

10. Wow! Those are pretty amazing numbers. The Kokosing river here in Mt. Vernon is creeping up to levels that it rarely hits. It is probably less than a couple feet from spilling over the dikes in town and if it makes it over that there will be a lot of residents scrambling.:eek: The rains have subsided for now so hopefully we will see them crest soon.

11. Drum roll please ........we are now at 893.81 and rising!

12. As of 3:00pm today Jan. 6th, the Alum spillway level was two feet from the walkway and only normal or maybe slightly bellow normal water release. The water did look pretty clear, diffinetely fishable.

13. Just took a drive around the lake. Ran into Officer MacAluso ( head ranger). He said that Alum is at an all time high. Said the corp of engineers said the level will peak friday night/ Saturday AM. They won't open the gates untill Monday or Tuesday because of down stream flooding. He also said that the lake is officially closed to all activities. I will attempt to post some more pics in the gallery. Over at the marina the point that juts out into the lake is completely covered and the parking lot is half covered in water. The docks that you normally walk down 15 - 20' to get to are floating straight out. The camp ground access road to the ramp is under 3' of water. It is a site to see.
    Pics can be found at
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=369
    Copy and paste into your browser.

14. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

WOWOWOW!!!

Wild pics EA...thanks for sharing those.

15. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

894.06 @ 1800 est. with the water that high, its going to be like learning the lake all over, im sure the laydowns are relocated... hopefully there is more of them this year...

sowbelly

16. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Those are great pictures EA. Can't ever remember it being that high. Thanks for posting them for us.

17. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

nice pics didn't make it to alum today but did make it to delaware very impressive over there i will post on it .

18. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

wow...i can fish right from my van..:D

19. Just so folks know, the state has placed wooden barricades at the top of the concrete launch ramps. Feels spooky seeing the lake level all the way to the top of the ramp.

20. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Hey Ak....you suggesting something? :D Wish I could dude......I have no way to transport my gear right now. My truck lost a battle with an icy tree :(