close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alum on Friday the 3rd

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by beatsworkin, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Am fishing at Alum this Friday morning. Plan on going out of the Galena ramp no latter than 6 a.m. and fishing until early afternoon, depending on how many of the crazies took the day off as well.

We are planning on trolling/drifting crawler harnesses and jigs. I have been out 3 times in the last month and really have not had much luck, other than a couple of dinks and one keeper 'eye that got off at the boat. Have fished the entire east side of the lake from the dam to 36/37 and out in front of the beach and marina and along the rip rap on Cheshire. I have fished from the bank out to 40', if there is no thermocline set up and tried pulling rapalas at and above the thermocline when I could mark it on the graph.

Anyone have any tips to share? I don't want to get your spot or anything but some general tips on what speed you trollers are running and what colors and depths are working. I have tried flats, points and humps and along the edges of the creek channel with near 0 results.

Thanks in advance for any advice and if anyone is out Friday, I will be in a Targa w/a 75 merc and walkthrough windshield, stop and say hello.

2. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

hopefully ill be hitting alum around 5:30 tomorrow morning. probally going to concentrate on trolling cranks, and might try to bounce for a while.. i need to come up with some nightcrawlers before then tho. will post with results when i get back in..

later
    sowbelly

3. striperfreak

striperfreak stripes and smallies

this time of year i would find a point in 14 ft and drag a jig and crawler as slow as i could for saugeys. have done well in previous yrs doing just this when trollers were having trouble

4. Thanks, that is on the list of tactics to try Friday.

5. striperfreak

striperfreak stripes and smallies

also try the east side

6. If you are going to be dragging bouncers slow, you had better bring a bunch of worms. The gills and perch will eat you out of bait.

7. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

same goes for the jigs too... got tired of hacklin with them perchturds yesterday. drop jig, feel jig hit bottom, tap tap tap, time to rebait...

sowbwlly

8. Thanks for the info, I had problems with the perch last time out as well. If they are too much of a problem we may just pull cranks or vertical jig with blades. At any rate it will good to be out on the boat instead of in the office!

9. FINMAN

FINMAN Old Junior Member

...'cept not that early. I can't get my old buddy Muskeye up that early, and it's his boat. Enough whining, though. Besides, I don't think the Cheshire bait store opens until 6. We'll be in a Targa also with a 125 merc. See you up there. Our stand by is the lindy rigs, but will be trying slow crawler harnesses,too. Later on trolling cranks... you just never know when that crankbait might attract a nice muskie. :D :D Another Alum stand by for us is oversize whistler jigs on the deeper edges of weedbeds.

PS I'm glad Muskeye's computer is down, or he'd chew my ear off for this!

10. Thanks again for the tips. Just got done making some goose sandwiches and hooked up the boat. Fins, we will be launching at New Galena, might be at the store if my buddy did not score some crawlers. I'm not hard to miss- about 6'4" and a solid 350 :rolleyes: Now to bed...

11. FINMAN

FINMAN Old Junior Member

We saw you trolling when you had 6 and we had 2. So how'd you finish up? Trolling cranks yielded nothing for us, and lindys got us a couple respectable smallies, but no keeper eyes. We wound up on a pattern with the bottom bouncers and finished up with 9 keepers for the day. The dinks, sunfish, white bass and perch seriously diminished our crawler supply between keepers, but heck, we weren't tournament fishing, so catching fish is rarely a disappointment. Muskeye lived up to his carp-utation :rolleyes: .

12. Sorry for the delay in replying. We ended up catching 16 'eyes and kept 9. 1 came on a deep rouge and 1 on a deep shad rap. The rest came on bottom bouncers and harnesses. We also caught a bunch of sunfish, white bass, crappie, perch and one 20 inch channel cat. Best day in a long time for us, really was the first time using bouncers. I tied all the harnesses we used, first time for that as well, pretty simple rig, but a bit more satisfying when you get fish on lures you make!

Plan on going either next Friday night or Saturday morning.

13. Decided it was too hot to goose hunt and went back up to Alum Monday morning. Caught 5 or 6 more before the PB'rs began to take over the lake. All came on harnesses. Best color blades have been gold and silver, red beads. Several of the rigs I made had one red hook, 95% of the fish caught were hooked on the red hook. I have read about the effectiveness of the red hooks, 1st time using them. Anyone else notice this?