Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it has been to long since the boat and i have been out,but finally tonight took buddy out for some crappies for a upcoming fish fry. It was methodical fishing tonight fronts have played havoc with the fish. But we kept moving hitting one place after another picking up 2-5 fish per spot. All were nice fish though and mostly blacks in the 10-12" range. We hit one spot closer to dark and landed a nice batch off of them. Buddy pulled a nice 13" white. All came on 1/8th ounce jigs with pearltruese 3" twister was the ticket. Just before dark at the same spot i started hopping the jig on the flat that butted up to the drop we were fishing water on top of flat was 3-5 foot deep,got a solid hit and landed a fat 23" saugeye. Only one we caught,got some bigger white bass off of flat as well trying for another saugeye.;) Water was 76 in bays 74-75 open water baitfish were staying down and fish activity was pretty low where we were. So if you want some slabs decent ones are biting in 6-10 foot water around wood structure or ledges dropping into 13-15 feet. Good Fishing!!:)

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I just posted in another thread about Alum. We went to Alum last Sunday and caught few crappies and eyes, but we caught all the white bass we wanted along the rip rap by 36 bridge. Water was about 74-75 also on Sunday everywhere we went. Just waiting for a little cooler temps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was also on alum last sunday and could not keep the white bass of the line while trolling. 8 and 9 inch white bass were crushing 5 and 6 inch lures it was amazing and disapointing at the same time. During a 300 yard pass we must have caught 12 fish between 4 people. thinking about heading out again tonight will post if i get anything good like a 23" saugeye ( nice fish )good luck to all

·
day late, dollar short
868 Posts
I think Slim is the only person who "consistently" pulls in nice saugeyes while he's crappie fishing. Its almost as if he's their god and they feel like they have to throw themselves onto the lure as a sacrifice.

All kidding aside, good report. Hoping to go to Alum Friday afternoon but it may depend on boat traffic.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Didn't get your message until this morning. Thought you went somewhere else. - I was there, hit a few spots around dark and a few others after. Only had 1 legit hit above and caught 3 smaller fish at another spot (nothing over 14 inches). A LOT of fish moving in both places.
I think the 1 above was a musky. PERFECT night to be out. Will be out again today, this time in the boat.
ying

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
hit a ramp and the spillway last night. Was a really slow bite. Ended up with some rock bass a few white bass and a decent crappie. Had one hit that I'm pretty sure was a saugeye, but nothing seemed to be biting like I expected. Strangely enough a slower presentation was more effective for getting any bites.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Hit alum last night, fishing was pretty spotty.. could not locate big schools of quality fish. Hit a bunch of trees in 8-10ft of water, produced 2 fish over 12 inches but nothing between 10-12. Fish were either REALLY high or tapping the bottom. Strange bite. A few times my twister would hit the water and I would have a fish on, other times I would let it sit on the bottom and pick it up and there would be a fish. If I had someone with me, I think I could have figured out the best way... but switching back and forth probably slowed my "catching" down.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Oh mike...tsk tsk...having trouble with the crappies? I'll see if I can't get you into some slabs when I get back in town. No charge for my services. ;)

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Sorted thru about 75 to bring home 18 over 10".

Same fish a few hours later -- still flopping on the plate. :)

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Nice looking batch almost thought it was one of my pictures but the shoe is not mine!!:D Plate looks yummy!! You really need to get out there with Mike he is getting rusty on the crappies he is having to troll for them.;) Just got in and got 18 keepers myself from Oshay all blacks except 3,biggest was 2 at 12" rest right at 10". Got about 35-40 nice fat blacks that were about 8-9" that will be nice next year when i come looking for them in the spring. Beautiful evening to be out just might go back out for saugeyes here in a bit with that bright light in the sky. Everyone have a safe holiday weekend.:)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Nice looking batch almost thought it was one of my pictures but the shoe is not mine!!:D
LOL--I had the same thought! Been out on Alum a few evenings the past two weeks or so, and got similar results each time. Lost a couple big saugeyes, but also put some nice 2 lbers in the cooler. They were pretty fat, but all had empty bellies, so we must have hit them just as they were going out on the prowl. If I go out again this weekend, it will be at Hoover. I saw a couple guys put their Scarabs on the water for the weekend, and my wife doesn't like heavy boat chop!

Be careful this weekend. Quieter and safer fishing is around the corner!:D

andesangler

·
day late, dollar short
868 Posts
Went out Friday and monday evening on alum. Friday was all about the crappie. Hit one of my fall spots to find out it was loaded. Got a fish on just about every cast fro 45 minutes and then the fishing just died. Tried a couple more spots but nothing. All were on wood in 10-15 ft. Monday night was a different story. Fished from shore and couldn't find a fish. Tried 3 different spots and not a bite. Focussed more on saugeyes this time. Probably why I got blanked. Saugeyes hate me until October.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys on the crappie - I am heading to Alum this weekend to do some fishing and camping with the family. I haven't been on the water for a little over a month and can't wait. Let you know how I do next Monday.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
store bought tartar sauce.... kind've disappointed.
hahaha Bring me a mess of fillets this Sunday night and I'll fry em up with homemade tartar sauce. Got that big pile of dry timber out back I've been saving for an end of summer weenie roast. Fishslim, EE, Misfit, Bob4246, Swollengoat...you and your guests are invited too. PM me if interested.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts