close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alum Ice Report Needed

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by delpage, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Hello All,

I am new member. I am an alum of Ohio State and visit regularly from Illinois. Used to fish Alum Creek from time to time. I will be up there next week and I would like to do some ice fishing. Is there safe ice anywhere? I know the upper part North of 36 is shallower. How is the ice shaping up in that area?

If anyone has any feedback on the ice on Hoover, I would appreciate that too.

Thanks

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

First of all, welcome to our site. Nice to have you. I dought if the ice is safe now but we are having -9 degrees temps tonight so who knows. Stop by the park office and check with them. I'm sure if this keeps up there should be safe ice. Again, welcome to the site.

3. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Depends on how much snow they got too. A heavy snowfall will insulate the ice preventing it from forming. Theya re calling for temps in the 40's this week, so any snow that is on top will likely turn into a sloppy mess.

4. I cruised all around the lake yesterday. I would give it a few days. The northern part (north of cheshire) of the lake skined over thursday night. Most of the coves are covered in ice, but if a 95 # lab goes through, You and i definatly will. Most of the farm ponds I chrck had 3-4 " of good ice.

5. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Any word on Galena yet guys? :) :) :)

6. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i'll go there wednesday(or tomorrow) to find out.. if i dont come back, call the rescue.. :D

7. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

AK.....if you do come back, and it's good......let's do it Thursday when I get off work or something. CALL ME DUDE :)

8. Just got back from Galena. Most of the ice is around 4-5" thick. Let the fun begin. Heading out tonight and tuesday. If you see a Burgundy Dodge van, Thats me. Stop by and say Hi.

9. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

I'll be there on Thursday.

10. Shawn and Ak,
    If you guys are there Thursday let me know and I'll join ya in the afternoon if you're still there. If you're just fishing morning let me know how ya do. Maybe Miso and I will borrow you're spot. :) :)

11. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i was gonna ask the same thing.. if i can't go out the same time you guys do, please drill couple extra holes for me too..lol..
    thanks.. :D

12. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Jon,

The last time you "borrowed' my spot......you took home a 5 lb saugeye :) LOL :D

13. I remember it like it was yesterday ! ;) :D
    What a better way to get a guy addicted to the hardwater. I think you knew exactly what ya were doing.

14. Hit Alum around 5:00 this am. There is around 1" of water on top of the ice(average 3") and it is going bad quick. I would not venture out on Alum!!!