close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alum Ice Report - needed again

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by delpage, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Hey ,

I seem to head back to Columbus every time the deep freeze begins. Anyone know how the ice is on ALum. It has been mighty cold. Are the coves at least frozen over?

2. I don't have a report, just an observation, Alum was at an all time high last week. They are releasing water to draw down the lake to winter pool, and ice that has formed in quiet areas and coves is very likely to have a gap between the ice and the water under it, if it is even frozen.

3. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

The lake is still WAY above alert pool. Alum is pretty much shot for the season.

4. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

I agree, have not been there recently but I would not venture out on that ice for sometime. Water is really high on most reseviors in central OH, if they are not trying to drop them now, they will be in the next week or two. That will mean pretty much unsafe ice for a while, your best bet is to hit non-flood control lakes that do not have a major systems flowing into them that would of flooded them too much in the last month. The ones that come to mind would be Buckeye or Knox, don't know how safe either of them will be by this weekend, but they should be pretty soon after that. I will probably attempt Knox this weekend, but last reports tell me to take it easy, some of the ice in the middle of the shallows is only 1 1/2 inches, a good bit is 2-3 inches wich is still iffy. If I go will probably look like a fool and wear a life vest, better to look like one then to be one I guess.

5. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

I was out at Buckeye outdoors today looking at shanties. The salesman had said that a guy was in there today that was on Buckeye. He drilled a hole and his auger hit water about 6 inches below the ice. I didn't ask how thick the ice was, that was enough info for me. I will drive out to the lake Sunday after the BIG Storm and see if anyone is out there and drill a hole close in just to see for myself. Maybe the weight of the snow will force the ice down to the water. Does that make it safe? Life jackets help keep you warm too!!
    Good luck. I'll post again after I get back from Buckeye.